Will you get the vaccine if it becomes available?

When a Covid-19 vaccine becomes available, will you take it?

• Yes / I've signed up for a trial

Votes: 65 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters

rustybin

Distinguished Member
It'll be annoying if he announces teachers are next up in his briefing tomorrow!!

They asked for proof of my employment when I arrived but there was nothing on my booking confirmation that said it would be required.

acatweasel

Smacks of people not being given a “what happens if” instruction.
Throwing the mass vaccination centres open to younger people when and if they aren’t being fully utilised is an obvious thing to do to bring down the infection rate. JDI.

jole26

I'd guess that empty vaccination centres are more to do with delivery supplies than anything else. It has been at the one I've been working at.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
The AZ vaccine clearly has an image problem abroad. Yesterday I read that Switzerland may sell on its AZ vaccine order. Sweden, France, Germany etc., are not recommending its use for over 65s. South Africa has (or had) paused/halted its distribution to health workers. The US still hasn’t approved its use. And under 65s in Germany are rejecting the AZ vaccine because they want the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines instead.

I hope my confidence in the AZ vaccine is not misplaced. I must confess it’s a bit troubling to discover how it’s viewed elsewhere.

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
The AZ vaccine clearly has an image problem abroad. Yesterday I read that Switzerland may sell on its AZ vaccine order. Sweden, France, Germany etc., are not recommending its use for over 65s. South Africa has (or had) paused/halted its distribution to health workers. The US still hasn’t approved its use. And under 65s in Germany are rejecting the AZ vaccine because they want the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines instead.

I hope my confidence in the AZ vaccine is not misplaced. I must confess it’s a bit troubling to discover how it’s viewed elsewhere.
I read a BBC article yesterday suggesting similar and some Italian doctors are refusing it and wanting the Pfizer one instead.

jole26

I think 'image problem' is the right description. There are early studies of Pfizer (and Moderna) suggesting a similar drop in efficacy to that of the Oxford vaccine against the SA variant for mild Covid.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102017

Last edited:

Lee

Wonder how quick they'll change their minds if the results from England match those from Scotland.

Link in the post by Andrew1472....

goingoingong

Distinguished Member

The irony is that the EU kicked up a stink because they had a supply shortfall but just a few weeks later due to lack of demand they now have an over supply situation.

Only 150,000 out of 1.5million doses of the jab had been used in Germany on Friday, with many deliberately skipping appointments after learning they would receive the Oxford vaccine.

In Berlin, the Tegel vaccination centres, which only offer the AstraZeneca jabs, say 200 people are keeping the 3,800 daily appointments, The Times reported.
Nadhim Zahawi says 'the evidence looks good' that vaccines stop Covid

Last edited:

fluxo

Distinguished Member
This is fairly well reasoned article by the look of it:

I think our approach is pragmatic, but it’s a bit of a punt (not too much, just a bit).

The obvious question: why didn’t AZ enroll more older trial participants? They’re the people for whom a vaccine is most important, so it’s not very helpful that the only statistically significant results are for other age groups.

Mevlock

That's an 85% drop for Pfizer

and yes a 94% drop for the Oxford jab!

Other countries are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Europe has messed up spectacularly here, and I've always been a remainer. Vaccine nationalism is going to be responsible, quite literally, for many many deaths this summer.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

The AZ vaccine is perfectly ok for over 65's as the Scottish published figures suggest, it's a political thing with the EU they don't want to see our efforts as a success.

England's figures will confirm that I am sure, take whichever vaccine is offered as they are both winners.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
If some European countries don't want the Oxford vaccine, great, that leaves more for us! :clap:

On a more humanitarian note, AstraZeneca promised to provide under-developed countries with the vaccine at cost, so more available for them! :clap:

Panavision

Distinguished Member

The AZ vaccine is perfectly ok for over 65's as the Scottish published figures suggest, it's a political thing with the EU they don't want to see our efforts as a success.

England's figures will confirm that I am sure, take whichever vaccine is offered as they are both winners.

The EU is based on preventive principals, so they are very cautious when they don't have the data to back them up in case of legal matters.

If they don't want it, then we have more for us and poorer countries. It will also take them longer to vaccinate. AZ is perfectly fine for over 65s.

This could signal the break-up of the EU. Some countries must be enviously looking at the light-footed nature of the UK in times of crisis.

Last edited:

Reyreyrey

Leaders in the EU countries tried to save face by rubbishing the Oxford vaccine because they were late to roll it out. Now very few in the EU want it. They've potentially created a huge problem for themselves.

fluxo

Distinguished Member

That's an 85% drop for Pfizer

and yes a 94% drop for the Oxford jab!

Other countries are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Europe has messed up spectacularly here, and I've always been a remainer. Vaccine nationalism is going to be responsible, quite literally, for many many deaths this summer.

Super news! A good day for us and a very bad day for viruses.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I read a BBC article yesterday suggesting similar and some Italian doctors are refusing it and wanting the Pfizer one instead.

Macron making the sort of stupid uninformed comment that we might expect from Trump :facepalm:

Loose lips sink vaccine rollouts it seems!

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
Macron making the sort of stupid uninformed comment that we might expect from Trump :facepalm:

Loose lips sink vaccine rollouts it seems!

Reminds me of a saying "cutting your nose off to spite your face" :confused:

mark1080p

Sorry if it’s wrong thread. But noticed recently on the news, the vaccine numbers going down. I’ve been so used to seeing 400k - 500k. That <200k per day seems quite low now.

However on the local news they have mentioned more vaccine centres opening up, like the Madejski stadium (Reading FC) which makes the recent lower counts sound even more odd?

Any ideas? All I can think of, is that maybe the next level of people in groups 5-9 are smaller in comparison to the initial 1-4?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published