Will xbox live content ever become free?

ozz1983

Standard Member
As title. When I had the original xbox I remember the pay for content became free after a few months. Does anyone know if there are plans to make any of the content we currently have to pay for free in the future?

Waynej

I don't know. I certainly don't think any premium content will be free. It is true that this haooened with the first Xbox, but premium content and this whole emphasis around 'Marketplace' shows that they want to be able to release new premium content on the fly and charge for it. Which I suppose is fine.

Like GRAW Cahpter 2 costs 12,000 MS points. So that is quite expensive, but then its almost like an expansion pack with the amount of content in the pack. I don't think things are overpriced, I think they're well balanced. But I certainly would like to see more free content. Like with GRAW they could have had 1 co-op mission free and that would give gamers a taste and draw them in even more into purchasing the full pack.

I myself have not yet purchased anything on LIVE. I will do eventually. But this is only likely to be for WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2007 and Halo 3 content. (And possibly Gears, depending on how addictive it becomes).

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
ozz1983 said:
Does anyone know if there are plans to make any of the content we currently have to pay for free in the future?
I think some could, guess it in part depends on the game developers. I think some extra muliplayer content for The Outfit became free recently after previously being a charged extra.

It would make sense as if a game's dying off and losing popularity, giving extra content away free can bring it back in the limelight a bit, maybe even make some people who sold their copies purchase them all over again.

m1ket

yes i think stuff will become free over time but it probably depends on the popularity of a game

Pebb

Waynej said:
I don't know. I certainly don't think any premium content will be free. It is true that this haooened with the first Xbox, but premium content and this whole emphasis around 'Marketplace' shows that they want to be able to release new premium content on the fly and charge for it. Which I suppose is fine.

Like GRAW Cahpter 2 costs 12,000 MS points. So that is quite expensive, but then its almost like an expansion pack with the amount of content in the pack. I don't think things are overpriced, I think they're well balanced. But I certainly would like to see more free content. Like with GRAW they could have had 1 co-op mission free and that would give gamers a taste and draw them in even more into purchasing the full pack.

I myself have not yet purchased anything on LIVE. I will do eventually. But this is only likely to be for WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2007 and Halo 3 content. (And possibly Gears, depending on how addictive it becomes).
Graw Capter 2 add on pack costs 1,201 MS points.

ThePiousFlea

Novice Member
Already happened for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The Outfit map pack is now free.

E;fb a few posts above. Still.

CDR

Waynej said:
Like GRAW Cahpter 2 costs 12,000 MS points.
woah that is expensive, 12,000 MS points is over £97!
The above is a typo, the points were 1,200 which is £9.71.

As seen with Call Of Duty 2, there were 3 different sets of multiplayer maps released, 1 batch were free, the other two were 400 and i think 800 points each. Although now, if you buy the 'Game Of The Year' edition you get a code which you can get the maps for free, or something.. I'm sure this is down to Activision rather than Microsoft though.

captaineyecatch

Novice Member
Activision loves you all for buying all those map packs - They made a
$1million so far, keep it up guys.
Speaking to investors and analysts last week, as reported by GameSpot, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said "approximately USD 1 million" had been generated - something he called "a critical first step in exploiting online revenue potential and extending the shelf life of our games".
Note the word exploiting - whats the betting that Call of duty 3 will only have say 6 multiplayer maps as standard and the rest will be available as 400/800 MS points dloads.

NackNack

Banned
Exploiting just means making use of.

Halo 2 was the only piece of content on the original Xbox that was made free.

Trist

captaineyecatch said:
Activision loves you all for buying all those map packs - They made a
$1million so far, keep it up guys.

Note the word exploiting - whats the betting that Call of duty 3 will only have say 6 multiplayer maps as standard and the rest will be available as 400/800 MS points dloads.
I know what you mean... to make $1million out of basically add-on map packs does seem a bit like a rip off, but Activision had to make an excellent game in the first place to create the demand for more maps. You can guarantee that The Outfit didn’t make nearly as much money from they’re downloadable content, purely because the game wasn’t as nearly as popular.

The developer / publishers have to find the right balance between giving the customers value for money and a great game for the retail RRP and then hoping that the game is good enough that people want to come back to it.

The whole downloadable content and micro transactions a thing has only just started and developers / publishers are still working the best way to balance things. If the initial game is light of content and weak the downloadable content won’t sell, simple as that.

NackNack

Banned
captaineyecatch said:
Nope Ghost recon2 and summit strike maps were all free, Splinter cell maps were pay and then went free after a few months, counter strike maps went free etc etc.
I never knew the GR and CS maps you had to pay for originally? Splinter Cell didn't go free for ages then, since I remember them still being £2.99 and me refusing to pay for them.

captaineyecatch

Novice Member
Gr maps were all free - thats how to show support to fans of the games Ubisoft dont rip us off with 1200 points crap.
Counter strike i think some were pay and some were free?? but not too sure? as its years since i played that crap conversion.
Rainbow 6 and BA had pay ones that went free after a while along with free ones.
You only have to look at Elder scrolls dloadables to see how it should be done, sure they made a mistake with the horse armour price but they soon sorted the price to the low 150-250 points for each dload and they really are some cool and worthwhile extras.