will xbox 360 kill off the likes of Roku?

bertha

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been backing up all my cds with a view to getting a Rocku or Slimdevice wireless doofer - but I understand that the xbox 360 is going to be able to stream media wirelessly..for £100 more you can have a piece of kit that plays games in hi def and stream your music...what's the thoughts on this, am I ill informed or does the xbox seem like a good option for this purpose?

cheers

berth :thumbsup:

From what I can tell you're right on the nail.... if you want steaming audio why not get the Xbox 360, it'll even stream video from what I can tell... oh and play games in hi-def staight to your plasma to boot :thumbsup:

bertha said:
I've been backing up all my cds with a view to getting a Rocku or Slimdevice wireless doofer - but I understand that the xbox 360 is going to be able to stream media wirelessly..for £100 more you can have a piece of kit that plays games in hi def and stream your music...what's the thoughts on this, am I ill informed or does the xbox seem like a good option for this purpose?

cheers

berth :thumbsup:

Lets hold our horses and see how Microsoft implement it

Remember the basic X360 (£220; cheaper) ver doesn't have the 20gb HD. Only £280

well the ROKU etc will not require a TV to browse for music. where as the XBOX 360 require you to have a TV, so that is one area why some people would prefer the ROKU or squeezebox.

Netgear MP101 will do streaming music for about £45 (new unit, Ebay price)

Admittedly it won't play games or stream Video but a good budget option for dipping your tow into streaming music

what does streaming your music mean exactly?

Plug a unit (Netgear MP101 for example) into your amp/surround sound in living room and listen to music that is stored on your PC elsewhere on network via wireless connection.

basically all the music you have ripped on your PC for your DAP can be played anywhere you have an amp/speakers/headphones

From the post before, I was under the impression this thing would cost £100

Its a no brainer. Unless you really wanna play next-gen games and will wait till Dec, save your money and don't get a 360

I believe the 360 will stream both audio and images from a Windows XP PC, but you need a Media Centre PC from which to stream video. Either way the optional 20GB hard drive is not necessary for streaming, only for storing data, games saves and playing Xbox 1 games.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom