Will we ever see a 3D TV again?

Will we ever see a 3D TV again?

• Yes, the Avatar sequels will do what the first film did for 3D technology!

• No way the technology will ever return!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Having owned Avatar on 3D bluray, and having ridden the Avatar Flight of Passage ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom, I really, really hope 3D makes a comeback. My 2 3D tv's are now 9yo and 8yo and once they go, I will be left with hundreds of £££s worh of useless 3D blurays. I definitely believe manufacturers jumped the gun on discontinuing 3D technology. If they had put a bit of research into the technology, I'm sure they could've come up with a result which most, if not all, 3D nay-sayers could agree with.

Not from any major players in the TV market, but the Chinese brands breaking into Europe...maybe?

I only tried it once on my 1st gen 4k TV, didn't get on with it. Looked flat to me. Life of Pi was the disc.

Honestly i don't think it'll really take off until it's sans specs like Nintendo 3ds.
People like us have no problem turning on some 3d glasses, pairing them with the tv and putting up with the slightly uncomfortable weight for the entire movie, but the general public want it all automatic because they're idiots.
So until you can click on a 3d film and have the tv switch to glassesless 3d and adjust itself to everyone in the room it'll never take off.
However when they day comes, it'll be huge.

Not from any major players in the TV market, but the Chinese brands breaking into Europe...maybe?

I only tried it once on my 1st gen 4k TV, didn't get on with it. Looked flat to me. Life of Pi was the disc.
That's another thing with 3D, there are a number of variables that can affect what you see including proper set up, the TV, the glasses and how our eyes work. Another variable is of course the disc, but Life of Pi is one of the better 3D discs so that's not an issue here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly i don't think it'll really take off until it's sans specs like Nintendo 3ds.
People like us have no problem turning on some 3d glasses, pairing them with the tv and putting up with the slightly uncomfortable weight for the entire movie, but the general public want it all automatic because they're idiots.
So until you can click on a 3d film and have the tv switch to glassesless 3d and adjust itself to everyone in the room it'll never take off.
However when they day comes, it'll be huge.
I agree with this and I was amazed how good the 3ds was when I first saw one. I always wondered why the TV manufacturers never integrated this into TVs, maybe on a larger size screen it had other issues?

I’ve only watched one movie at the cinema in 3D and that was enough at the time to convince me at that moment it wasn’t for me, okay it was only one movie but I felt the image small and lacking the grandeur of what I’d expect from cinema.
I would be tempted though if it made a return but worked like the 3DS.

That's another thing with 3D, there are a number of variables that can affect what you see including proper set up, the TV, the glasses and how our eyes work. Another variable is of course the disc, but Life of Pi is one of the better 3D discs so that's not an issue here.
Gravity is one of my favourites. That feeling of the vastness of space is so unnerving.

Gravity is one of my favourites. That feeling of the vastness of space is so unnerving.
Gravity is a film that I needed to feel part of the experience to really appreciate. I watched it in 3D on my TV years ago and I was a little bored but more recently I watched it on a large screen. Along with the Atmos track I added, this greatly increased my immersion into the experience which increased my enjoyment of the film.

Gravity is a film that I needed to feel part of the experience to really appreciate. I watched it in 3D on my TV years ago and I was a little bored but more recently I watched it on a large screen. Along with the Atmos track I added, this greatly increased my immersion into the experience which increased my enjoyment of the film.
We watched it in IMAX, fairly certain it was the last film I seen on the IMAX screen near us before it shut down. It was incredible, no other words to describe it!

We watched it in IMAX, fairly certain it was the last film I seen on the IMAX screen near us before it shut down. It was incredible, no other words to describe it!
I have a virtual cinema sized screen and I added the Atmos soundtrack. But watching Gravity on a real IMAX screen with IMAX sound system and a live audience would have been an interesting experience. I wish I had seen that.

I assume that it was in 3D? What was the 3D like in the cinema? I ask because Avatar is the only 3D film I've seen work in the cinema. The 3D disc versions of almost every film I have looks so much better than they did in the cinema.

I have a virtual cinema sized screen and I added the Atmos soundtrack. But watching Gravity on a real IMAX screen with IMAX sound system and a live audience would have been an interesting experience. I wish I had seen that.

I assume that it was in 3D? What was the 3D like in the cinema? I ask because Avatar is the only 3D film I've seen work in the cinema. The 3D disc versions of almost every film I have looks so much better than they did in the cinema.

It was a while ago now but I'm sure it would have been fantastic, it was the sound system and scale of the screen that stuck with me to be honest.

Hi,
I have the LG65E6V and my son has the LG55E6V. Two very good t.v.'s and the 3D is the reason we have not upgraded. Watched Titanic in 3D last night, which when played through a reasonably good AV system made for a very enjoyable watch (I did not realise how good my SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer is).
Gregory
p.s. Like Jonny Tester, my wife and I have also been on the Avatar Flight Of Passage ride in Florida's animal Kingdom. Breathtaking !!

Hi,
I have the LG65E6V and my son has the LG55E6V. Two very good t.v.'s and the 3D is the reason we have not upgraded. Watched Titanic in 3D last night, which when played through a reasonably good AV system made for a very enjoyable watch (I did not realise how good my SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer is).
Gregory
p.s. Like Jonny Tester, my wife and I have also been on the Avatar Flight Of Passage ride in Florida's animal Kingdom. Breathtaking !!
I got Titanic along with Avatar free with my Panasonic HT system years ago. Avatar looked great. But how am I the only one who thinks Titanic in 3D looked like a pop up book?

That's what life of pi was like for me. The 3d aspect looked like someone holding a cardboard cutout in front of the TV.

That's what life of pi was like for me. The 3d aspect looked like someone holding a cardboard cutout in front of the TV.
I only gave Life of Pi a brief look and the tiger in the boat looked great but I didn't like the film. I only gave Titanic a brief look as well but maybe I just hit upon the parts that highlighted the cardboard cutout look more.

I can't see 3d returning anytime soon. Avatar 3d was awesome but the limitations of 3d in the home are the screen size and the glasses. The 3d illusion is broken as soon as the effect hits the screen edge, so TV's need to be huge for everyone watching to get the benefits.
Check out this vid on custom made 3d tech made years ago. The tech and effects whilst awesome hasn't taken off but you can see how the illusion is broken when objects on the screen hit the edge.

Hi,
A couple of factors regarding 3D from a personal perspective. I have the LG65E6V which is considered to be on of the best 3D t.v.'s made using L.G.'s lightweight passive glasses similar to the ones you get in the cinema (no charging required).
I normally wear glasses so all I do is place the L.G. ones on top of my regular glasses. Looks daft but works perfectly. I have a surround system with a Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver, KEF KHT6000 front and surround speakers, a Dynaudio Excite X24 centre speaker and an SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer. The whole system integrates really well. While watching over three hours of Titanic I was able to settle back and enjoy the movie to it's full with no issues whatsoever.
This is no critcism of any of the Forum Members or the Forum itself, but sometimes I do think a bit too much emphasis is placed on technical aspects (only this many watts, it doesn't do this particular sound format, it's only got these connections on the back) as opposed to 'get this cos it sounds bl**dy great' !!
If I could go back and start all over again from scratch I would purchase a Sennheiser AMBEO soundbar and a good SVS subwoofer and ditch the separates.
Gregory

I can't see 3d returning anytime soon. Avatar 3d was awesome but the limitations of 3d in the home are the screen size and the glasses. The 3d illusion is broken as soon as the effect hits the screen edge, so TV's need to be huge for everyone watching to get the benefits.
Check out this vid on custom made 3d tech made years ago. The tech and effects whilst awesome hasn't taken off but you can see how the illusion is broken when objects on the screen hit the edge.

There are many aspects of 3D including emphasising depth, pop out or just proving added dimensions to 2D objects on screen. 3D can also be a story telling device either in single scenes or for a whole film like Martin Scorsese did with Hugo. You are only highlighting one aspect with a tech demo. I do agree that 3D works better with larger screens which is why I am happy to watch in VR. But I see too many people enjoying 3D on their TV to dismiss the concept. Plus I used to do it myself and I do remember being impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched two (stylistically very different) examples of 3D which blew me away. First was darts. Sweeping camera moves over the audience. The darts landing in the board. It was fantastic.
And second, David Attenborough showing a fossil where you could see the contoured shape of the surface which would be impossible to appreciate in 2D.
I'd love 3D to work, but the glasses are the killer.

The other killer is the film industry. There is no way in the current climate that they are going to invest in making movies with a limited appeal which yield little financial reward. With the cinemas currently running at 50% their normal box office takings they are not going to invest in equipping their venues to take on yet another version of 3D. I'm sorry for those who have accumulated a substantial amount of recorded material.

The 65 inch E6 was and is astonishing. Showed some friends up from London Wonderwoman a couple of weeks ago...Best 3d we've ever seen, didn't know it could be this good, wow, amazing etc were typical comments.
I remain a big fan - fortunately I was a late adopter!

I was a big fan of the format, although I'll happily admit watching 3D at home on my old 55" Panasonic TV wasn't a patch on watching it in the cinema – especially on the IMAX screen.

I think bigger TV screens help with 3D, which is a good thing as most people's TV screen sizes seem to continually get bigger, but I was often frustrated with the misaligned 3D image that always left a ghosting effect, no matter how much you tried to manually adjust/tune it. Or perhaps that was just my Panasonic TV? Alas, that telly is no more and my fairly recent LG OLED TV has no support for 3D. And that's a shame because I still have a huge stack of 3D blu-rays that I can't make full use of unless I bought a 3D projector, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I loved 3D, what an experience! I didn't mind wearing the light weight glasses, some people I knew couldn't see it for eye defects, some suffered the ghosting effect, cardboard pop up book effect, I didn't experience those issues and thoroughly enjoyed it, but some films were made "for" 3D, others just did it and it didn't make an impact, just added depth when people were expecting pop out effects. If companies were clever they'd make sure the effects didn't reach the edge of the screen, so I saw a fish demo in a store and it looked like the fish were swimming in the aisleway in front of me, but then they went back into the screen rather than breaching the edge of the screen. So if companies/film makers were smart about how they approach the technology, it really enhanced the film and didn't detract. I think 3D should make a return to OLED/cinema/projection as it was incredible. You'll always get naysayers and people who can't watch it for one reason or another, but I didn't mind donning a pair of daft specs and it doesn't dislocate you from your companions, I always found my friends and me being amazed together by the same pop out moments or depth of field, nudging each other and comments of "that's amazing" or whatever. I would welcome the return of another wave of 3d. Perhaps if it was mainstream, and people could find content via their streaming services it wouldn't die a death. People don't want to pay for content separately though, if they had 3D on their Netflix subscription or Disney, it would survive, it always baffles me when people pay £1500 for a TV but won't pay a tenner for a decent film in 3D. Kind of like all fur coats and no knickers saying. Viva la 3D!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom