• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will we ever be able to edit recordings?

Mike710_0

Standard Member
Im pretty new to Sky HD but think theres definately room for improvement with the EPG.

One of the main things I think should be included in future updates is the ability to edit recordings thus freeing up space on the hard drive. Plus being able to delete unwanted bits (adverts etc) would be good.

Anyone out there think it'll ever happen? I doubt it myself but think it'd be good!

eddyr

Established Member
Do I think they'll ever let you edit out adverts? NO CHANCE! Perhaps if they wanted to seriously limit the money they take from advertisers... no, not going to happen...!

I think they key point here, besides the above, is that Sky+ was brought about not as a method of collecting all the shows you like, moreover it was to allow you to record things to watch at your leisure, and ultimately deleting them once they've served their purpose.
OK, now the hard drives are larger it does offer the ability to hold on the programmes for considerably longer than you might previously have done, but it's still not designed for what you're suggesting.

Another point to make is that Sky+ (I've not tried the new HD EPG yet) is/was sold on its simplicity- add editing functions or the like and for less tech-savvy individuals it suddenly becomes a lot more complicated. Remember the good old VCR? Always much maligned by oldies for being overly complicated, I grew up with them in the house and to be fair- they weren't wrong!!

AndyCob

Prominent Member
Not a chance, don't forget Sky don't want you to use the harddisk for archiving material just time shifting. Technically recording a TV broadcast is illegal anyway as you don't own the rights or copyright etc and means all TV recording devices fall into something of a grey area that has always been ignored becasue it's just to impratical to do anything about. It's a few years ago now but there was an attempt to legally formalise the situation as regards using vcrs, recorders etc for timeshifting (i.e. record watch later delete, which has been argued to be legal) that would have made it a formal offence to keep any TV recording for more than 90 days but it never got through.

pcbbc

Established Member
One of the main things I think should be included in future updates is the ability to edit recordings thus freeing up space on the hard drive. Plus being able to delete unwanted bits (adverts etc) would be good.
As a workaround for recordings you will watch again, set a bookmark at the end of the ad break.
To set a bookmark press PAUSE and then RED.
Then, when you get to a break when re-watching, press and HOLD the FFWD button and playback will automatically jump to the bookmark (end of ad break).

Kevo

Prominent Member
Good tip from pcbbc

Also to skip ad breaks you can always skip by 4 mins that usually gets you near or sometimes bang on the end of the ad break.

As soon as teh ads come on press stop, play then add 4 mins to the 'last viewed' time shown. It's surprisngly quick and accurate when you get used to it although not quite as elegant with the new HD epg, especially 'stacked recordings'.

tbag21

Established Member
Isn't that what Anytime's for? Add free (well almost!) movies/tv shows?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Isn't that what Anytime's for? Add free (well almost!) movies/tv shows?

Don't understand this post.

"Isn't that what Anytime's for? Add free (well almost!) movies/tv shows?"

What does that mean? You can't edit Anytime recordings any more than you can edit planner recordings. And you can't get to choose what programmes the Sky box downloads into its Anytime area.

The OP isn't complaining because the programmes are (or aren't) free - or almost free. He is complaining that he can't edit recordings that he has stored on his hard drive/planner to remove commercials, intros and padding at the end.

And Anytime doesn't allow you to watch free things - as in things you don't pay for/subscribe to. Just because your box has downloaded a programme/movie into the Anytime area, if you don't subscribe to the pack that includes that channel, you can't watch the Anytime recording.

So, no, that is not, in any shape or form, what Anytime's for. Whatever you think Sky Anytime is, you are wrong.

Last edited:

alasone

Established Member
Whoa, chill out Broadz :D Tbag was merely mentioning that Anytime TV shows are ad free. Nothing more. Nothing less.

This was a key feature for me on my old Freeserve PVR.
I really miss the editing and/or renaming function I used to have on that.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Tbag was merely mentioning that Anytime TV shows are ad free. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Ah - "ad free". He wrote "Add Free movies/TV shows".

I thought he meant you could add free programmes to your planner using Anytime, then edit out the adverts. My bad. He spelt ad with an extra d - which obviously means something entirely different.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom