Will vaccination be yearly?

alan280170

Distinguished Member
And? The vaccine doesn't stop you picking up the virus again (whatever the variant). Have any of them previously vaccinated shown any symptoms? Be interesting to see some numbers.
I know someone that was in ICU for a fortnight with COVID, after having both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine. He home now though, so seems to be on the mend.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I know someone that was in ICU for a fortnight with COVID, after having both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine. He home now though, so seems to be on the mend.
That is really REALLY unlucky. It's the inverse of winning the lottery at the moment. Was it long after the 2nd jab?
I wonder if it was one of the more exotic variants that he picked up?

All I can say is glass half full assuming he had max protection (3 weeks after jab 2) he must have been getting on a bit or otherwise high risk. If it hit him that hard even with the vaccine then I believe there is a good chance without the vaccine he would have been heading to the morgue after leaving the hospital not home.

Here is hoping for a smooth recovery going forward

alan280170

Distinguished Member
That is really REALLY unlucky. It's the inverse of winning the lottery at the moment. Was it long after the 2nd jab?
I wonder if it was one of the more exotic variants that he picked up?

All I can say is glass half full assuming he had max protection (3 weeks after jab 2) he must have been getting on a bit or otherwise high risk. If it hit him that hard even with the vaccine then I believe there is a good chance without the vaccine he would have been heading to the morgue after leaving the hospital not home.

Here is hoping for a smooth recovery going forward
Was approximately 4 weeks after his 2nd jab.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Among the more than 75 million people fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the United States by the second week of April, there were only 5,814 reports of coronavirus infections — a staggeringly low number that shows just how effective the shots are.
Almost a third of the breakthrough infections reported to the CDC were asymptomatic. Only 396 people were hospitalized, and a third of that group was in the hospital for a reason other than COVID-19 — that is, the disease was not the reason they were seriously ill, they just happened to also test positive for the virus.

D

Deleted member 898080

On breakfast tv this morning a report that drug companies working on a vaccine booster for the Autumn that is stronger against variants. They must have a difficult job weighing up side effects which so far are fairly minor to most. I admire the volunteers though and am very thankful to them.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member

The preprint, which contains the latest data from the original clinical trial, found an average decline in vaccine efficacy of 6% every two months. Researchers have said that trials to evaluate the efficacy of booster trials after a longer interval are under way. A booster vaccine in England is expected to be rolled out to the people most vulnerable to covid-19 from September.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Hmmm, I wonder why Pfizer and Moderna seem to be so keen on selling booster shots to wealthy nations rather than competing with AstraZeneca to help out Africa 🤔

Pfizer suggested that a third shot could improve immunity, but whether boosters will be widely needed is far from settled, the subject of heated debate among scientists. So far, federal health officials have said boosters for the general population are unnecessary. And experts questioned whether vaccinated people should get more doses when so many people have yet to be immunized at all.

Pfizer’s vaccine brought in $7.8 billion in revenue in the last three months, the company said, and is on track to generate more than $33.5 billion this year. The vaccine is poised to generate more sales in a single year than any previous medical product, and by a wide margin.

Dr. Kate O’Brien, the WHO’s director of immunization, vaccines and biologicals, said the organization is still researching whether a booster shot is needed to increase protection against highly contagious mutations of the coronavirus.

If the WHO endorsed a booster shot, O’Brien said it would likely only be for select groups of recipients, like the elderly or people with other conditions that make them vulnerable to severe disease. She added that the WHO is also evaluating whether to approve booster shots “on a product-by-product basis, because not all the products are exactly the same.”

For now, the shots already administered are priming immune systems to defeat Covid and fulfilling their objective of staving off hospitalizations and death. While this is welcome news for the health of the vaccinated populace, it’s troubling for the pharmaceutical companies’ bottom lines: After all, the more doses a person requires, the more money they pocket.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Well if they stopped trying to ruin the chadox vaccines reputation perhaps the cost would reduce. After all it's a fraction of the cost of others

Almost a case of reap what you sow to the first world countries

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Hopefully the UK’s 8-12 week gap between doses provides more enduring immunity so most of us won’t need a booster quite this quickly.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
And here in the UK, the JCVI/government still prevaricate over the booster.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom