• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

will using up pre outs kill DVD-A

reevesy

Distinguished Member
might be getting into silly question terrority here....
basically if you connect a seperate stereo amp using left and right pre outs...in my case using a 2803 would this not stop me from getting full 5.1 surround sound from dvd audio discs via my analogue connected dvd 2900 player?
:confused:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
ah thats what i like a difinitive answer ;)
forgive my ignorance .....but if the dvd player is not connected to the left and right audio inputs of the amp......how is full 5.1 in dvd audio going to work?

Jase

Distinguished Member
If you want 5.1 DVD Audio you'd be using the 5.1 analog outputs of the player and they'd be plugged into the 5.1/7.1 EXT In's of the Amp. Just be a case of then selecting the EXT Input on the 2803 and you'd be away.

Your Stereo Amp should be connected to the Pre-Outs of the 2803 then you can use it for all sources.

Mind you, reading your question again. Have you got the Stereo amp plugged directly into the DVD player??? If so, you can still get around it by having it plugged into the standard 2ch analog outs and then also have the 5.1 analog outs connected to your 2803 as I mentioned above. Be running two systems in effect (assuming you've got plenty of speakers...)

reevesy

Distinguished Member
cheers again jase,
no...not connected to the dvd player...but i thought the only pre outs
(it's a nightmare to pull out my amp and check due to where it is) on the 2803 for the fronts was in the bank of connections for analogue surround sound fronts/rears left and right etc.
....have'nt got that many DVD-As...but i've just got the beatles love album.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
as an after thought...unless you could hook the stereo amp up to zone 2....but not sure if that would work.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Ideally the Stereo amp has to be plugged into the Pre-Outs (the one's that include the SW etc). It will then be in use for all sources, modes etc.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
sorry if i'm being a bit thick but i'm still having trouble figuring out how a dvd-a disc can output full 5.i surround sound from a dvd player hooked up to a reciever using L,R,SW and rears if a seperate stereo amp has nicked the front left and right connections?

Jase

Distinguished Member
The 5.1 DVD Audio signal is output from the DVD players analog outputs i.e FL, C, FR, SL, SR and SW. These are connected to the Amp's 5.1 EXT In's. You then select the EXT Input to listen to this source.

Your Stereo Amp should be plugged into the main FL & FR Pre-Outs of the Denon and all your other speakers will be connected directly to the Denon's speaker terminals i.e C, SL, SR and SW. As both the speaker terminals and Pre-Outs are always active the signal just gets routed to the relevant speakers. The FL and FR signals will be routed via the Pre-Outs to your Stereo Amp and to your Front Left and Right speakers and the C, SL, SR and SW signals will be routed to the Denon's speaker terminals and the speakers connected to them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom