Will using a sub give my amp more headroom?

R

rajkat

Hi

I've recently purchased an ex-demo AVR250, and would be interested to know if using a sub would create additional amp headroom for the other channels (especially if speakers set to small with amp crossover).

Logic being that the sub's amp will be providing power for most power hungry frequencies (eg <80htz) so that the AVR doesn't have to.

Other question - is there only additional power available in stereo mode over multichannel mode when the surrounds aren't being used to bi-amp the front L+R?

Thanks

Richard

Crustyloafer

rajkat said:
Hi

I've recently purchased an ex-demo AVR250, and would be interested to know if using a sub would create additional amp headroom for the other channels (especially if speakers set to small with amp crossover).

Logic being that the sub's amp will be providing power for most power hungry frequencies (eg <80htz) so that the AVR doesn't have to.

Other question - is there only additional power available in stereo mode over multichannel mode when the surrounds aren't being used to bi-amp the front L+R?

Thanks

Richard
1. Yes, setting the main speakers to small and using a subwoofer will take a lot of the strain off of the AVR250's amplifier. This will not necessarily result in better sound. If you have full range speakers that can handle the low frequencies then you should set them to large. Either way if you haven't got a subwoofer already then you should really get one, you are missing out on a lot.

2. The additional power available in stereo direct mode should not be affected by using the biamping function.

Top Bottom