Will USB-C Replace HDMI and Displayport?

DemonDragonJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that both video cards and monitors have USB-C connectors, recently, which makes me wonder if HDMI and Displayport, the two most popular connections for visual displays, may eventually be obsolete, since USB has already rendered numerous other connection types obsolete (such as serial ports, parallel ports, and PS2 connectors).

What does everyone else say about this? Will USB-C eventually replace HDMI and Displayport, or will those connectors remain the default choices for televisions and computer monitors?

Unlikely also the USB-C is just a different connector the signal being sent over it is still Displayport or HDMI which are controlled by different bodies.

Vesa who maintain displayport I suspect would consider using USB-C connector if it met all their needs but HDMI group I think not, they prefers to push their own HDMI cables and has a whole regime of certification, testing equipment etc that no doubt makes them money.

If you look at the USB video modes the HDMI over USB-C is limited to v1.4 which is now quite old whereas Vesa on the other hand support their newest version 2.0 via USB-C.

Last edited:
As far as I know HDMI alt mode for the Type C connector never really took off. It's only DisplayPort alt mode that has widespread support - the USB-C devices with HDMI outputs are typically converting from DisplayPort internally.

USB and DisplayPort are very much based in the computing side of things, while HDMI originates more from the film and TV industry.

So it's more likely that USB and Displayport will have aligned goals than USB and HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom