Will Two PB13 be Overkill?

SunnyFord

Hey Guys

Wonder if you could help me make a decision

I can’t seem to find that (A Kick in the chest) impact or a (Huge Grin on my Face) every time heard a motorbike go pass as I had before I expanded my living room..

My room used to 12 ft long by 8 ft wide and now its 12 ft wide by 18ft long I am still using same in wall speakers with PB13 I also have eight sound panels on the wall and ceiling I would have thought one Sub would have been enough for this size of room.

So I moved the Sub from Front right corner to Back left corner as you can see from images
Although it sounds better with less vibration as I made a base lift with solid foam and heavy MDF

Still why can’t I feel the impact I had before the renovation??? I know the room is bigger also I know it was way to small before for PB13 before..

I also start getting slight distortion on my front speakers when I turn it right up to watch a movie

So the big question is should I add another sub as I have SVS-EQ so there won’t be a major problem in blending the two and will it improve over all impact on movies and music

Or should I go for better speakers like M&K in wall rather then what I have Monitor Audio in wall

What sub would you recommend to go with? Does it have to be another Pb13
Will it improve having two subs in opposite end of the room?

Much appreciated your help as always

Many Thanks in advance
James
svs.jpg
Before

svs2010.jpg
Now

100_0339.jpg
Before

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

P1010283.jpg

100_0514.jpg
Now

100_0519.jpg

P1010277.jpg

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Very very nice room sunny:thumbsup: Obviously 2 subs would give you more headroom but have you had the sub EQ'd to see you are getting the most from what you have.

I can see you have the SVS EQ1 but is it set up right.

Pollywoggle

Very nice!

Did you have the AEQ1 before the renovation as peeps can report loss of bass after using the AEQ1 which you then need to compensate for?

I think the Ultra was maybe giving you more in the smaller room and you were used to that so now you notice the difference. I know you have the sub in a certain spot but have you tried it in different locations in your renovated room?

If you do get an additional sub then you'd be wise to get another Ultra as mixing subs can make balancing more difficult even with the AEQ1 :)

misko

Standard Member
try it in same place as it were before..(if you already did not):rolleyes:

SunnyFord

Thank you all for replying

Don’t get me wrong it guys….. It still sounds amazing,:eek: watched transformers 2 last night and the base superb and clean because of the homemade Subdude :D
just not as tight…

Distortion on the right front speakers is quite annoying now. The only way I can fix it by bringing it to 70bd on the meter and leave the rest to 75

Yes I did have AEQ1 before renovation and I have set it up again after renovation as you can see from two different graphs image.. The second one is now in a larger room. Not as straight line as it was with previous..

Can’t place the sub in the old place as its will block the door.

No! I have not tried sub in any other place, just two corner front right and back left. The only other place I could move it is in the back middle of the room facing the screen like the new image.
Do you think it might improve as I read here Corner is better for subs or was it other way around?????:rolleyes:

Also here is layout of the room as it is now

Here is my build link
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/1096760-my-not-so-small-cinema.html

Many Thanks
James

subopen.jpg

Homecinema4.jpg

Homecinema3.jpg

misko

Standard Member
Thank you all for replying

Don't get me wrong it guys….. It still sounds amazing,:eek: watched transformers 2 last night and the base superb and clean because of the homemade Subdude :D
just not as tight…

Distortion on the right front speakers is quite annoying now. The only way I can fix it by bringing it to 70bd on the meter and leave the rest to 75

Yes I did have AEQ1 before renovation and I have set it up again after renovation as you can see from two different graphs image.. The second one is now in a larger room. Not as straight line as it was with previous..

Can't place the sub in the old place as its will block the door.

No! I have not tried sub in any other place, just two corner front right and back left. The only other place I could move it is in the back middle of the room facing the screen like the new image.
Do you think it might improve as I read here Corner is better for subs or was it other way around?????:rolleyes:

Also here is layout of the room as it is now

Here is my build link
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/1096760-my-not-so-small-cinema.html

Many Thanks
James

subopen.jpg

Homecinema4.jpg

Homecinema3.jpg

Hi
on the right you have door,but on the left it would fit nicely.
I would say from my own experience that placing the sub in corner only is fine with lower powered subs,pb13 should do fine anywhere in the room,just labor more with placement.
Before you go and buy another sub I would suggest changing the onkyo receiver for dedicated preamp-processor:rolleyes:
mike

Last edited:

SunnyFord

Hi
on the right you have door,but on the left it would fit nicely.
I would say from my own experience that placing the sub in corner only is fine with lower powered subs,pb13 should do fine anywhere in the room,just labor more with placement.
Before you go and buy another sub I would suggest changing the onkyo receiver for dedicated preamp-processor:rolleyes:
mike

Hi Mike

Just minutes ago I was thinking of moving it that particular area you suggested. Also I like your suggestion of buying a dedicated preamp-processor..
What are the benefits with preamp?
How will it improve over all impact?
I thought 905 had enough power to drive my speakers which are 125watts. So I go the route with preamp will I have to look for new speakers too?
Will it stop the distortion I hear from the front right speaker or is the speaker damaged? Can it be fixed without replacing?

Sorry for all this questions but you will never learn if you don’t ask

SunnyFord

This is what i am going to try tomorrow:) Lets hope It brings back the :D
Present
cinemaPresent.jpg

Frist Try
cinema2.jpg

Second try
cinema3.jpg

finale look
cinema4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

misko

Standard Member
sunnyHD
many people focus just on subs or speakers,ignoring importance of using dedicated 5-7ch amp and pre-processor.
I can tell you firsthand,changing either of them(best both of them) would significantly improve overall performance of sound.

I started with a receiver a few years ago altogether with B&W 805s and i was very pleased and happy..Until i havent tried dedicated 5ch amp,the difference was really noticeable,so i bought it,and reciever was used as a pre-pro..after that a friend of mine borrowed me a 2ch preamp(bryston bp25) and guess what?I couldnt believe what change it made-the difference was just unbelievable.Since i`m more into HT i started saving my money for HT processor,ended up with Bryston SP1.7,never regret it.I was just sorry for myself,i didnt do it much earlier.

Now i gonna get to the point:The subwoofer started playing absolutely different,it sounded much tighter and cleaner,without any boominess.If i did not know it was the same sub,i would swear i was hearing the different one.

my 2cents
mike :smashin:

Last edited:

SunnyFord

sunnyHD
many people focus just on subs or speakers,ignoring importance of using dedicated 5-7ch amp and pre-processor.
I can tell you firsthand,changing either of them(best both of them) would significantly improve overall performance of sound.

I started with a receiver a few years ago altogether with B&W 805s and i was very pleased and happy..Until i havent tried dedicated 5ch amp,the difference was really noticeable,so i bought it,and reciever was used as a pre-pro..after that a friend of mine borrowed me a 2ch preamp(bryston bp25) and guess what?I couldnt believe what change it made-the difference was just unbelievable.Since i`m more into HT i started saving my money for HT processor,ended up with Bryston SP1.7,never regret it.I was just sorry for myself,i didnt do it much earlier.

Now i gonna get to the point:The subwoofer started playing absolutely different,it sounded much tighter and cleaner,without any boominess.If i did not know it was the same sub,i would swear i was hearing the different one.

my 2cents
mike :smashin:

Now then Misco You have put in a whole lot of different ball game now:rolleyes: … So I started looking into pre-amps, processor and power amps
So far these two come to mind Acram AV9 Bryston 25

I still don’t understand half of what it does .
So could you explained to me little bit more please? As you can see from my post that I am into Films big time…. Do listen to music and watch other programs too but mainly movies, and try to watch all on Blu-ray and sky hd..
My system is set for 7.1…with 905 and inwall speakers
So in your own opinion what should I look for without having to spend a lot….
What do I do with 905?
Beside AV9 or Brston25 what else will I need to change?
Should I change front speakers and leave the rest.. will that make nay different
Will I be alright with just one Subwoofer
Sorry once again for lots of questions but it’s your fault for making me spend more money :D

Much appreciated your help
James

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom