• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will this work?

steveohim

Standard Member
I have technics separates and I'm trying to get a turntable to work but I've tried everything and can't get no sound, can anyone help?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396189957.657407.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396189972.773135.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396189980.777313.jpg

clayts450

Established Member
I've got that Aiwa turntable - chances are the amp you are connecting to does not have a phono stage. Luckily the Aiwa does have a built in phono amp - lift off the rubber turntable, rotate the turntable until you see a little black plastic switch - turn it to on (or whatever the setting is), and you should be good to go :)

clayts450

Established Member
Hmm, it should work by plugging it into VCR in AUX (or maybe even DVD in AUX, front and left channels), although the manual only suggests video components can be added. Irrespective, it surely should accept RCA connections from a pre-amplified phono.

Just to rule out the processor isn't at fault, is there an old VCR or two channel DVD player knocking around which you can hook up to it ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Any turntable you buy will require the same left and right analogue audio inputs. A technics turntable or any other brand of turntable will require a phono stage and if your amp doesn't incorporate one then you'd have to buy an external phono stage to facilitate the connection of a turntable. After doing this you'd be in the same situation you are currently in now with the Aiwa turntable.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your current turntable has a pre amp built in. There should be no need to buy an external phono stage in order to use the Aiwa turntable? The pre amp wouldn't be required if you've done as suggested by clayts450 and enabled the inbuilt pre amp onboard the Aiwa turntable. Buying another turntable and an external pre amp/phono stage will be no better than what you have now and you'd still have to use the same inputs on the Technics amp as you are trying to use with the Aiwa turntable. If these inputs are failing to work in conjunction with the Aiwa turntable then they will also not work in conjunction with any other turntable and/or external phono stage.

Ensure that you are enabling the pre amp onboard the Aiwa turntable and that the left and right RCA connections are being connexted to left and right RCA inputs on the Technics amp. Select the associated source via the amp's source selector in relation to the connections you've made. If this doesn't result in audio from the turntable then the turntable or the amp are faulty.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can only go by what clayts450 has posted when it comes to the Aiwa turntable, but if you've not already followed his advise then I'd suggest you do so.

steveohim

Standard Member
Still having problems with this, bought the pre amp but doesn't make any difference, does anyone know if this has a magnetic cartridge? Says it only works with those

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom