Will this work? Re-using a faulty Pioneer VSA-AX10

markhudds2

Hi folks,

My 20 year old Pioneer VSA-AX10 amplifier has failed - seems to be a faulty dolby/dts decoder which means everything needing DAC is going only to the left front channel. Annoyingly all 7 power amps are still working beautifully because I can still use the 7.1 multichannel-in, which I assume bypasses the DAC. So, seems a shame to scrap or sell for parts and I'm wondering if I can re-use as a power-amp.

The plan is to move from 7.1 to an Atmos 7.1.4 set-up, something like a Denon 4400h or newer receiver, so I'm thinking I can perhaps use the VSA-AX10 to power the front channels, perhaps even bi-amp them (so 170w x2 to each front), and power the remaining speakers by the Denon 4400h. This would work out cheaper than buying a receiver with 11 power amps.

Please can you help me confirm this will work ok? From research I think I would just connect the Denon 4400h front pre-outs to the Pioneer 7.1 multichannel-in fronts and do the 'amp-assign' set-up in the Denon? One thing I'm not sure on is what do I then set the Pioneer volume to? Leave at reference 0db?

Alternatively, would the Denon be a better amplifier for the fronts and perhaps just use the old Pioneer for a couple of Atmos height speakers? Seems overkill to me though.

Thanks
Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom