Will This Work Ok?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dcontrol, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Dcontrol

Dcontrol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I want to run the already existing Sky HD upstairs into the bedroom and to the HDtv to keep the wife quiet. To do it I think I need all these (links below) 2 way HDMI splitter box, HDMI extender with IR function, an IR kit and cat6 cables. I've already got 2 cat6 cables 10m (link below) of the same length and hope they will work with the set up I am proposing to use.

Cat6 cables

2 way HDMI splitter box

HDMI extender with IR function

IR kit

Is this what I need to complete my set up? Is there anything else that would work better without costing anymore? Any feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    If you are connecting to TVs (rather than using a surround sound system at your main TV location) then it should work although cascading signals through separate splitters and baluns can often lead to weird issues or inconsistent problems. At least with Sky you are not pushing the bandwidth, and the only real way to see if it works for you is to install it and try it. At least you are choosing a "branded" reseller via a retailer with decent returns policy, so if you have issues you cannot solve you should be able to return for refund. The short Cat6 cable runs can be a problem for some baluns, the baluns you link to mention equalisation so this may be ok.

you are not running full bandwidth HDMI when using Sky as a source, so that is not pushing the performance envelope to the limits, so cable type may not be quite as important. The main thing is to test the entire setup as soon as it arrives before permanent installation to make sure it gives stable picture and sound over both connections (even if that means bringing the second TV into the room with the main TV and Sky box temporarily).

If you already have Sky working over coax with Magic Eyes then don't bother with the separate IR kit, the Magic Eyes will be better at controlling the Sky box from the remote TV locations.

3. Dcontrol

Dcontrol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and testing it to the other tv is good advice and I will do that when I get the items. I haven't got Magic Eyes (although I've had laser eye surgery) although I did consider them but then saw the extenders with IR so choose them instead (excuse my poor attempt at humour). I won't be running it through my surround kit set up downstairs as I want to keep things simple. I do have a surround kit set up in the bedroom as well but I think I'll still opt for just tv to tv as it's rarely used anyway.

4. Davefevs

Davefevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's pretty much what I've bought recently (without the splitter, as I've already got one).

I've tested it internally without the IR kit and it works fine. I'm sending mine outside the house and back in again. Just waiting for a mate to come around with his big drill bit!

As mentioned above, Neet are meant to have great customer service, but hope you don't need to call them.

Good luck, even if you are a toffee!

5. Davefevs

Davefevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just tested the IR Probes.....they work perfectly.

6. Dcontrol

Dcontrol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Late reply but everything works fine with no problems to report so far. Now if only I could get the wife to stop cluttering up the planner with her reality nonsense shows and record more sport........

7. Davefevs

Davefevs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wives do not know how to delete once watched either.