1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work? - New to Home Theatre

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HKRich, Feb 8, 2005.

1. HKRich

HKRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm not new to Hifi, but I'm new to home theatre. I recently move to HK from Leeds and was toying with the new big telly idea, plasma out here, but decided to use my blank wall to go with a projector. The Hitach PJ-tx100, about 680 quid out here, so I took the plunge and bought an Onkyo TX SR701 for about 200 quid also. OK I'll get to the point, I bought some bipole rears and a Mourdant short Centre, but I wanted to use me good old MS30 fronts which still sound great through my existing bi-wireable amp. Thus keeping my current streo setup sought of separate from my AV setup, but using the fronts in common. It was suggested that I can use the pre-out on the SR701 and then use the aux input on my current amp to drive the fronts. I have set this up and it works, but I am not sure what sort of volume to set on my stereo amp, to get the right balance for my AV amp. Also I need to crank the Onkyo up to about 50 on the vol scale to get any real sound, I know there are a lot of speakers to drive, but does this sound about right?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard :thumbsup:

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I believe you have to set the stereo amps volume at 50% and then setup the onkyo from there.

sorry I cant help more. Do a search on this thread for stereo amp, it might turn up more info.

3. HKRich

HKRich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Well it looks like I just fell lucky then 'cause that's exactly what I did.

Thanks for your help.