1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will This Work: 2 amps to 1 set of speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Timbo21, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi all,

I recently purchased 3910 & 3805, but am not completely happy with stereo cd.
    I've been advised to try a stereo amp update first.

So, the question is, can I run my 3805 and a stereo amp into my Quad 11L's, since they have 2 sets of terminals for bi wiring/amping, & so I wouldn't remove the jumper plates?

Naturally, I would make sure I didn't have both amps on at the same time........doh :rolleyes:

Also, recommendations for stereo amp for not more than £250. Cambridge Azur 640a or second hand?

Many thanks,

Tim.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Come on, someone can give me something on this can't you? :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's not something that I think most amplifier makers would recommend,esp in the case of transistor amps,as any voltages across the terminals will also be seen by the output stages of your other amp,and could possibly result in damage.

Surely it would be a more practical proposition to properly biamp your speakers,and see if you can get an improvement that way.

At the £250 mark,it may well be worth your while looking for used/ex-dem amps,and you may be lucky enough to come across some of the lower powered Musical Fidelity amps at that price.

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks alexs,

I thought there must be people out there who use two seperate amps, but the same fronts. Trouble with biamping is if I'm using direct mode on my 3805 I don't think any stereo signal will be sent to the surround B channels, I don't know.

Also, my speaker wire length is only 3 metres & I'm sceptical at the improvement
    of this.

5. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The ideal solution is to use a stereo amplifier to run the front speakers (your Quad 11's) and the Denon to run all the others. Connect a phono cable from the preamp oututs on the denon (front left and front right) to a spare input on the stereo amp (lets say aux). Leave all the components you want surround from connected directly to the Denon, and connect stereo only sources to the stereo amplifier. You will need to find a suitable volume setting on your stereo amplifier so that it matches all the other channels. The Denon volume control will adjust all channels when you select (aux) on the stereo amp.
    This way there is no danger of damaging either amplifier by accidentally connecting their outputs together, and it will give the best performance on stereo music because the CD, turntable etc are not going through the AV amp.
    However, I do doubt that a £250 integrated amplifier is going to be significantly better than the 3805.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks warpaint,

I guess ideally I wanted to bypass the 3805's preamp, since it's preamps which often seem to degrade signal. But if you don't think £250 will get me a better sound then I will probably do nothing :rolleyes: Or....?