1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this ventilation plan of mine work?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tboyblu, Jan 8, 2003.

1. tboyblu

tboyblu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a space in my new home designed for a television that measures 30.5" h x 42.5 w x 26" d. I, of course, decided that I should have a television that maximizes the space. However, not thinking too clearly at the site of a sale, I bought a 36" HDTV-ready Panasonic (Model 36HX42). It measures 29.4" h x 36.9" w x 24" d. Doesn't give me much clearance - huh? So, I've decided I need to ventilate the space for the TV. What I'm needing to know is if anyone thinks this will provide sufficient airflow for the TV, since I'm not a genius at this stuff. I am installing a super-quiet exhaust fan (rated at 50 CFMs and only 0.3 sones) that terminates out a vent higher on the wall. I am hooking up the fan to a thermostat (Suncourt Ductstat Plug-in Thermostat) that will start the fan when the ambient temp reaches 85 degree F (may adjust it after some responses). I am going to mount the thermostat in the top rear corner of the space, opposite the exhaust fan (ceiling mounted). Can anyone give me feedback on this? Should I stop before I start all of this cutting and wiring and stuff? I don't want to ruin my new TV!:eek:

Thanks,
    Trev

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you really need is ventilation above the rear slots on the back of the TV back panel.

I don't know what your set up is like, but a two inch wide by 12inch long ventilation gap above the rear panel should be fine.

Of more concern to me would be the sound quality which could sound quite 'boxy' if too enclosed...

3. tboyblu

tboyblu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input jim.rae. My concern on the venting directly behind the TV is that there is another opening about 11 inches above the TV opening for my audio equipment and I wouldn't want to vent the heat from the TV into the audio equipment (that consequently was designed with a vent behind it - why the TV area wasn't designed that way - who knows :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, I feel much better about my proposed setup knowing this info.

Thanks much,
    Trev