Will this VCR to Amp to Plasma idea work ??

F

foxmeister

I now have my new Toshiba Plasma on the wall with an S Video lead going into the back of it providing an amazing picture from my DVD and SKY (via JS Convertor), using Yamaha Amp as switching device.
The only problem I have is how to get the picture from my JVC video up to the Plasma for occasional use (taping Corrie etc.).
I can't really put more wires up to the Plasma so I was wondering whether I could use the S Video lead ??

My idea is to buy an S Video and 2 RCA to Scart lead (plug the Scart into the rear of the VCR (only one scart socket) and the S Video and 2 RCA plugs into the rear of the Amp, therefore again using the Amp as the switch.
Does anybody know whether this would work, could I record and playback ??
If not is there any other way of getting a picture up to the Plasma utilising the S Video cable ??
Thanks a million, Foxy .....

In short, no unfortunately :( The video will be outputting a composite signal, and whilst Scart to S-Video leads are available, all these do is change the type of connector at each end - they don't convert the signal as such.

I doubt you would be able to connect the video direct to the plasma via composite as the Panasonics, and their "clones" use the same board for both S-Video and Composite (thus you can use either one or the other). As a result, unless your amp can perform video switching (i.e convert a composite signal so that it can be output from the s-video output) I'm not sure that you'd be able to do what you want to... :(

Kelvin.

Maplin do little converter type things which are supposed to allow you to connect composite via S-Video. They can't increase the picture quality to S-Video (stating this, but I know you already know this).

I've had a look at another device which claims to do similar. While it does reduce cross-colour interference, it also reduces detail in the picture. So you've got to ask if you want detail or no cross-colour.

This isn't an easy thing to do, and something I do get asked about quite often. I certainly thing the Maplin device is worth a go. They didn't have one in stock when I asked, which is the only reason I haven't tried theirs.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

or just buy Sky+, which has svideo , and gives you decent pic quality, much better than VHS !!

Originally posted by danumudu
or just buy Sky+, which has svideo , and gives you decent pic quality, much better than VHS !!

1st year with Sky + is around £445, with subsequent years costing £120 over your normal subscription. You can buy a very good S-VHS recorder for £200. For £445, I'd be looking at a DVD recorder though.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

thats true. but believe me, once you have enjoyed the convenience of having a single EPG from which to view live and recorded programs, and you dont have to worry about managing tapes / DVD-R's or whatever, you realise it is worth it. Also, on a plasma the last thing you want to do is to send it a poor quality signal in the first place!

Originally posted by danumudu
on a plasma the last thing you want to do is to send it a poor quality signal in the first place!

Indeed, this is why I innovated the RGB to S-Video converter, the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, the Active Video Buffer (now discontinued) and the RGB to Component converter!

I listen to your needs, do the research, develop the products, and come up with the solutions. S-Video is good, but if you've got a screen which is compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, then you really should consider going down this route.

I was tempted by Sky Plus, but opted for TiVo. I've just added a DVD recorder to the system, which allows me to archive programs. I've also been able to move some items from VHS to my DVD recorder. Later, I hope to transfer my laserdiscs too, but I'm working with a friend to help keep the AC-3 sound track. But try finding an RF demodulator for laserdiscs!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Thanks John, I've ordered the Maplin device you suggested, at £4 it was worth a try, as I said pic quality from VCR is not an issue.
Cheers again, Foxy ...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom