1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this VCR to Amp to Plasma idea work ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by foxmeister, Nov 16, 2002.

1. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have my new Toshiba Plasma on the wall with an S Video lead going into the back of it providing an amazing picture from my DVD and SKY (via JS Convertor), using Yamaha Amp as switching device.
    The only problem I have is how to get the picture from my JVC video up to the Plasma for occasional use (taping Corrie etc.).
    I can't really put more wires up to the Plasma so I was wondering whether I could use the S Video lead ??

My idea is to buy an S Video and 2 RCA to Scart lead (plug the Scart into the rear of the VCR (only one scart socket) and the S Video and 2 RCA plugs into the rear of the Amp, therefore again using the Amp as the switch.
    Does anybody know whether this would work, could I record and playback ??
    If not is there any other way of getting a picture up to the Plasma utilising the S Video cable ??
    Thanks a million, Foxy .....

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In short, no unfortunately :( The video will be outputting a composite signal, and whilst Scart to S-Video leads are available, all these do is change the type of connector at each end - they don't convert the signal as such.

I doubt you would be able to connect the video direct to the plasma via composite as the Panasonics, and their "clones" use the same board for both S-Video and Composite (thus you can use either one or the other). As a result, unless your amp can perform video switching (i.e convert a composite signal so that it can be output from the s-video output) I'm not sure that you'd be able to do what you want to... :(

Kelvin.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maplin do little converter type things which are supposed to allow you to connect composite via S-Video. They can't increase the picture quality to S-Video (stating this, but I know you already know this).

I've had a look at another device which claims to do similar. While it does reduce cross-colour interference, it also reduces detail in the picture. So you've got to ask if you want detail or no cross-colour.

This isn't an easy thing to do, and something I do get asked about quite often. I certainly thing the Maplin device is worth a go. They didn't have one in stock when I asked, which is the only reason I haven't tried theirs.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. danumudu

danumudu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or just buy Sky+, which has svideo , and gives you decent pic quality, much better than VHS !!

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1st year with Sky + is around £445, with subsequent years costing £120 over your normal subscription. You can buy a very good S-VHS recorder for £200. For £445, I'd be looking at a DVD recorder though.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. danumudu

danumudu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats true. but believe me, once you have enjoyed the convenience of having a single EPG from which to view live and recorded programs, and you dont have to worry about managing tapes / DVD-R's or whatever, you realise it is worth it. Also, on a plasma the last thing you want to do is to send it a poor quality signal in the first place!

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Indeed, this is why I innovated the RGB to S-Video converter, the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, the Active Video Buffer (now discontinued) and the RGB to Component converter!

I listen to your needs, do the research, develop the products, and come up with the solutions. S-Video is good, but if you've got a screen which is compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, then you really should consider going down this route.

I was tempted by Sky Plus, but opted for TiVo. I've just added a DVD recorder to the system, which allows me to archive programs. I've also been able to move some items from VHS to my DVD recorder. Later, I hope to transfer my laserdiscs too, but I'm working with a friend to help keep the AC-3 sound track. But try finding an RF demodulator for laserdiscs!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, I've ordered the Maplin device you suggested, at £4 it was worth a try, as I said pic quality from VCR is not an issue.
    Cheers again, Foxy ...