Will this TV give 5.1 sound when connected to a 5.1 speaker system?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by cancancan, Sep 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I ordered a Panasonic TX-32LXD700 http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-32lxd700/index.htm

and I also ordered the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system.(5 speakers + sub)

If I connect the TV to the Logitech speakers, will the sound be proper 5.1 surround? - and if it is - will it do this via BOTH the analog and the optical audio outputs on the TV?
    And if it's NOT proper surround sound, then what can I expect to hear from the Logitech speakers?

Thanks!

2. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    To be able to output a dolby digital signal a device must be recieving a dolby digital signal.

So essencially no, as far as I know you can only get a DD signal via Sky or the likes and in that instance you would use the optical out on the sky box in to an amp etc to output the sound in DD

Straight from the TV I would expect (dependent on the logitechs amp) Dolby Prologic / Dolby Prologic 2

3. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the reply..

i won't be using a Sky box - just the built-in freeview on this telly.
    Is anything on Freeview broadcast in 5.1 / surround ? And whether it is or not - do you have any idea what sort of thing will be happening with the Logitech Speakers when they are connected? Will there just be normal stereo plus the sub? Or will there be sound from ALL the speakers?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Freeview isn't 5.1. You can make use of Dolby Pro Logic though and turn 2 channel into pseudo 4.1 or just have it normal stereo.

5. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

Reading up on your logitech system, it can process Dolby PL 2 - the difference between that and Dolby PL is that PL2 can seperate the two rear channels between left and right where as Dolby PL plays the same sound through both rear speakers

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    And mono sound. DPL 2 is quite impressive to what it can do with just 2 channel sources.

7. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what's pseudo 4.1? Does this mean one of the speakers won't have any sound coming out?

will I get ANY sort of surround effect using these Logitech's with the TV and it's own freeview tuner - and will there be sound coming through the sub?

(sorry - it's my 1st set of 5.1 speakers!)

8. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Yes, Dolby Prologic and Dolby Pro logic 2 are both surround sound.

By pseudo 4.1, what you were being told is that the amp will turn the 2 channel stereo sound into suround soun, you will get surround sound in the form of Front Left, Centre, Front Right and 2* rear speakers making the same sound + a sub channel - ergo 4.1 if you use dolby Pro logic

Using dolby pro logic 2 the amp can turn the 2 channel stereo sound your tv will produce in to a manufactured 5.1 so to speak, it will try to re create the 5.1 effect by giving the Rear left and right speakers different information , this is not tru 5.1 as for that, there genuinly is 5 different sources of sound, one for each speaker + a sub. But what you will have is Front Left, Centre, Front Right, Rear Left & Rear right and subwoofer all working independly,

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Good explanation.

Also, the rears with DPL 2 is stereo rather than mono with DPL.

10. cancancan

cancancan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats great - thx for the replies - i guess I select which method of encoding (DPL or DPL2) on the controller for the Logitechs - right? And i will be able to use both of these with Freeview? (I just don't fully understand at what point the audio signal is DPL or DPL2 - is the speaker system controller (receiver) turning it into that?

11. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

Absoloutley, on the Logitech Im sure it will let you choose between the different sound modes.

I use a Yamaha amp , and for Freeview and sky channels not broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 I use Dolby Prologic 2