• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Will this Sonos configuration work?

jackashton1

I recently purchased a new TV for my living room (OLED55B8PLA). I have the following Sonos speakers in the house:

2 x Play 1 in Bedroom in Stereo
1 x SUB in Bedroom (Purchased with the intention of using in living room)
1 x Play 3 in Kitchen
1 x Play 5 in Bedroom

My Tv is situated above my fireplace on it's stand, about 7 feet from my Sofa, the Sonos 5 is on a cabinet to the right hand side of the TV. Would it make sense to:

-Add a SONOS BEAM and place it on the cabinet to the left hand side of the TV
-Bring the SUB downstairs and add it to the mix (the most sensible place space wise is to the right of the sofa but it could go under the soda).

The living room would therefore be BEAM, Play 5 and Sub. I'm not fussed about surround sound. I'm just wanted to confirm the above sounds sensible before pulling the trigger on the BEAM.

Thanks for any help.

rorton

If your wanting to use the sonos for sound from the tv, I would suggest the the beam.

The play 5, while it has an av input, has a slight delay, noticeable enough that it will be off putting while watching tv.

The beam/play bar at designed for tv and have no delay.

Beam and sub would be good. Beam play 5 and sub doesn’t make sense

jackashton1

If your wanting to use the sonos for sound from the tv, I would suggest the the beam.

The play 5, while it has an av input, has a slight delay, noticeable enough that it will be off putting while watching tv.

The beam/play bar at designed for tv and have no delay.

Beam and sub would be good. Beam play 5 and sub doesn’t make sense

I have ordered the BEAM. Considering most of my music listening is in the living room, I intend to use the BEAM and Sub for the TV, then when playing music I’d group it with the play 5, does that make sense?

Thanks

rorton

Beam and sub will sound much fuller than a play 5, so I don’t think I would bother with the the play 5 in the lounge.

Why not put the 2 play 1s in the lounge witht the beam and the sub, and put the 5 in the room where the play 1s were.

You have a decent surround system, and no messing with different speaks when you want to play music.

jackashton1

Beam and sub will sound much fuller than a play 5, so I don’t think I would bother with the the play 5 in the lounge.

Why not put the 2 play 1s in the lounge witht the beam and the sub, and put the 5 in the room where the play 1s were.

You have a decent surround system, and no messing with different speaks when you want to play music.

If I had 2 x play 1s, the beam and the sub in the living room is positioning important?

I would have to have the Play 1s either side of the tv, with the beam also to the left of the tv close to a play 1. Thanks

rorton

Really you want the beam under the TV, and the play 1s behind you to do it properly.

Watching TV the play 1s will just provide ambient sound effects, and then during music, they will play full range.

Can you get the beam mounted under the TV, it will make the world of difference.

Any pics of the room?

jackashton1

It’s not really possible without wall mounting the TV and I’m not sure how long I’ll be in the current house for so I’m really looking for the best short term solution which is why I’m a little stuck with what to do!

jackashton1

I got someone else to take an image for, does this help?

Attachments

• 61230BD4-316D-46A1-86ED-95E01734788E.jpeg
    61230BD4-316D-46A1-86ED-95E01734788E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49

rorton

Ay yep great. TV looks JUST the same width as the chimney!

Could you get someone to knock up a little shelf or something to put on the fireplace, doesn't have to be fancy, just something to lift the TV up to be able to put the beam under the tv?

Not the best pic, but something like this

If not, beam should be OK at the side of the TV, will just be a bit off-putting with the sound coming from the side of the tv, the sound won't be locked to the centre of the tv if you get what i mean.

I still think the Play 1's at the rear if you have a mains socket there. You could put them in the front, as in TV mode, they will just be doing sound effects, so you just won't get any benefit out of them, and then in music mode they will play full range, but i dont think it will add anything to the sound, as you will have the beam and the play 1s playing the same thing.

In all honesty, the Beam with a sub will be plenty powerful enough for music, i have a beam on its own in 1 room, and the bass it generate is amazing for its size.

When you move then you have all the parts to do it properly if sticking with sonos, Beam at the front, sub, and 2 play 1s for the rear.

jackashton1

Ay yep great. TV looks JUST the same width as the chimney!

Could you get someone to knock up a little shelf or something to put on the fireplace, doesn't have to be fancy, just something to lift the TV up to be able to put the beam under the tv?

Not the best pic, but something like this

If not, beam should be OK at the side of the TV, will just be a bit off-putting with the sound coming from the side of the tv, the sound won't be locked to the centre of the tv if you get what i mean.

I still think the Play 1's at the rear if you have a mains socket there. You could put them in the front, as in TV mode, they will just be doing sound effects, so you just won't get any benefit out of them, and then in music mode they will play full range, but i dont think it will add anything to the sound, as you will have the beam and the play 1s playing the same thing.

In all honesty, the Beam with a sub will be plenty powerful enough for music, i have a beam on its own in 1 room, and the bass it generate is amazing for its size.

When you move then you have all the parts to do it properly if sticking with sonos, Beam at the front, sub, and 2 play 1s for the rear.

Thanks for the advice. I was eyeing up a 65inch in the shop until I measured the chimney and realised 55inch was more suitable!

The TV is already a little on the high side already. I’ll have a play when the Beam arrives and see what works best. At least I’m all set for when I move!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom