Will this setup work ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by titanax, Sep 10, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SYSTEM --> Tannoy 609s & 603s speakers, Acoustic Research MC1 centre speaker, Atlantic Technology 222 PBM active subwoofer.

PROBLEM --> My speakers are about 6 years old and the sub is about 3 years old, but they still sound great. I want to set up a Home Cinema using the 609s as front speakers and the 603s as rear speakers. I have a limited space (2.7m x 4m) and a tight budget that revolves around the cost of a Yamaha RX-V530 AV receiver, a Toshiba SD-220E DVD player and decent speaker cables and interconnects. For starters, please advise on the type of cables and interconnects I should get. I have no clue what impedance the Tannoys have; Will the Yamaha be able to drive them? Considering the size of the Tannoys, I don’t have space for 6 speakers; so I will enjoy the "phantom" centre rear offered by the RX-V530, right? Will this combination work well for me?

Although satellite speakers are great space savers and look really stylish, I am not fond of them and I really like separates. What options do I have?

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will work great! Just make sure you configure at least your center and surrounds as "small" speakers. Try you 609 with both "large" and "small" settings, but I think small will sound best for the 609 as well. Good cables are made by IXOS, QED, v.d. Hul, Chord.

3. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi garmtz,

Just a few more questions:

1. So I don't have to worry about the centre speaker being a different brand and not have matching drivers as the Tannoys Sixes?

2. How about the impedance on the Tannoys? The Yamaha should be able to drive them right?

3. Since the 609s are bi-wireable, should I bi-wire them considering the fact that this is a AV setup & not a Hi-Fi setup?

4. I know this might sound silly, but the 603s (rears) are bi-wireable as well...should I make use of this?

Thanks a million :)

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Those are some very good questions...

Well, in fact having the same speakers in the front really helps. So if you can find a dual concentric Tannoy center speaker, it would make a better match with the 609 than your current center speaker. You might want to demo the Tannoy Saturn S6C, a very good center speaker.

Yes, don't worry about it. You should be fine.

Well, I am a bit sceptic about bi-wiring speakers. I would start with a single wired connection and if you like the speaker cables you are using, double them in the future when funds allow, but try before you buy.

Same answer as the last, although even less important as the fronts.
    You're welcome... :)

5. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Tannoy 609's are 8 ohms.

It is best if you can to match the front 3.

I have a 609 as centre and 611's for my left and right.

The 611 & 609 use the same drive unit.

The 611 has and extra LF unit fitted making them 6 ohms.

6. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just like to add that in a small room you may prefer to use a phantom centre(front) than a different type of c speaker....

My lounge is quite small and I can't decide between my bw 602's doing centre duty and using my cc6, and these are meant to go with each other.

try it and see

Rob