Will this set up break the PoE chain...

neilrlsmith

I have an outside IP camera in my carport that is plugged directly in to a PoE port of a switch in my house. About a metre form the IP camera itself (and inside my carport) the is a connector as the first cable wouldnt reach. I now want to add another device at that break point.

So my question is....if I buy a standard cheap non PoE 3/5 port switch switch and replace the connector with this new switch, will the PoE from my router pass through and still power the IP Camera?

Hope that all makes sense!

D

Deleted member 24354

No. You would have to use a POE Injector after the switch with this set-up to power the camera

neilrlsmith

No. You would have to use a POE Injector after the switch with this set-up to power the camera
Ok thanks. So the PoE from the router effectively stops at the switch or do I need both? Actually come to think of it the 'connector' must be an injector otherwise it wouldnt have worked anyway?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
If you replaced your "connector" with a none POE capable switch, then the POE power from the house switch is not "stopped" by the new switch per se - it's simply never delivered in the first place. POE is not "on by default." A POE supplying device only supplies the power to end points that want it - when they power up there's some special circuits that determine whether POE is required of not - the default assumption is "not" - POE is only ever supplied to something that "actively" wants it. Your "new" switch won't require POE, so it'll never be supplied it in the first place.

If you replaced the "connector" with a POE switch, then you still get power to the camera because your new switch supplies it.

Whether POE or non-POE, your new switch requires it's own power supply of course. so you'd need to determine if you have a suitable supply point available in that location (or can get one there.)

You can find "special" little "desktop" switches that run off POE if you hunt around, but whether there's such a device can then "pass through" POE to other downstream devices, I don't know.

So if H is the house switch, C is the "connector" (presumably some passive device like an in line coupler) and X is your camera, presently you have:

H~~~C~~~X

If you replace C with a non-POE switch then all the POE disappears and just have data connections: (S == new switch.)

H---S---X

If you make S a POE switch, then you get POE power on the S---X link (you'll need a power supply to S, whether POE or none POE.)

H---S~~~X

If you source one of of these, what I'm calling, "magic" switches (M) that can themselves run off POE then it won't need it's own power supply so, you could...

H~~~M---X

But whether magic switch M has the facilities to, and could offer enough POE to the power your camera is something you'd have to check.

So this really turns on whether there is a power supply available and the intermediate "connector" point. If so, then just deploy a regular POE capable switch. If not, then you've got to figure out how to power your new switch which might be one of (what I've called) "magic" switches that can run on POE power, and then you got to determine whether said "magic" switch can "pass through" power to other end points. Even then, it may depend on whether the house switch can supply enough POE to both run the new switch and have enough "left over" to supply other devices.

Last edited:

neilrlsmith

An amazing response - thank you. At the connector there is mains power so that's all good. But reading your post carefully, it seems a regular, much cheaper (non PoE) switch) even when powered at the mains, will break the PoE chain provided at the house PoE switch thus the camera then going offline. Therefore I should get a powered PoE switch.

Also, a PoE injector (instead of the connector) would work right?

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
There isn't a "chain" of POE so to speak - POE is only delivered between a thing that injects the POE and the thing that consumes it which is usually a pair of devices either end of a single cable lobe. Unless you go after one of these "pass through" POE switches. So yes, a "normal" non POE switch will break the supply to your camera.

If you've got power available at the "connector" point, then it's a no brainer, just buy a regular POE capable switch. For little "desktop" units, they are are pretty cheap these days and there's plenty to choose from.

You could use a separate POE injector after the new switch, but the you've got to provide two power supplies rather than one, and an additional cable. Do-able, just a bit messier. A single 4-8 (whatever you need) port POE switch saves you an additional box and may be cheaper. E.G. a 4 port POE
10/100/1000 switch is a little as 30 GBP at time of writing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

I was completely wrong in my response. Ubiquiti have a 5 port POE switch which can be powered by POE and can provide upto 15W per port (this may not be enough for a cctv camera)

Switch Flex

You can also get a waterproof enclosure that has a POE Injector if you have local power

Switch Flex Utility

neilrlsmith

problem with injector it doesnt leave me with a spare ethernet port otherwise I'd stay as I was :). So I'll get a powered PoE switch, plug the camera in to a PoE port and the Apple TV in to any of the remaining 4! TBH I only need 2 ports but 5 seems to be the minimum.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I doubt there's a massive price difference between a 4 and 5 port switch, so don't worry about it. Any unused ports aren't a "burden" on the performance - they just sit there (literally) gathering dust! :D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom