will this PSU 'fit' my system?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Quaddy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    hi guys,

i have just added a 2nd ati 4870 1gb in crossfire, since adding it and enabling crossfire, when launching bf3, my pc instantly reboots, i thought its likely to be PSU related

have got the following pc setup:

• Quad Xeon x3430 2.4Ghz
    • 8GB DDR3 1333 (4 x 2Gb)
    • Radeon 4870 1GB
    • Radeon 4870 1GB
    • 480W Coolermaster PSU
    • Black Coolermaster Centurion Case
    • 2 x DVD-RW
    • Gigabyte P55A-UD3 MOBO
    • 500GB Hitachi SATA HDD
    • 1TB SATA HDD

was wondering if this PSU will connect to, fit my system :confused:

am a bit clueless on all things pc build nowadays, was 1999 when i was last into it all. many thanks for any yays or nays

:thumbsup:

2. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    A 480W is probably not enough for 4870 Xfire. Most reviews seem to put load power consumption between around 420-500W. The OCZ ZS 750W is a decent PSU and will be fine. Before you buy it though, might be worth removing one 4870 and trying to reboot to make sure the system is all working OK and you haven't damaged anything by trying to draw too much power.

More importantly though, if this is your motherboard going Xfire isn't worth it as the second PCI-E X16 slot is crippled and running at only X4 so the gains will be minimal.

You'd be better off selling them both and buying a newer single graphics card IMO and you may get away with now having to upgrade your PSU.

3. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    thats great, thanks for the info, yes the system seems fine, after reboots etc

i understand what you are saying about the 4x 2nd port for sure - its far from ideal

my thinking was, maybe incorrect, that as i am able to play BF3 on high easily just with the 1st 4870, so even with the 4x port, i *thought* that the additional 4870 would likely be enough to enable play on ultra at a passable rate

but, i think i will opt for the new PSU, just to see if that clears everything up and enables satisfactory play with xfire, if not, i will do as you advise, and consolidate with a better primary card

cheers :smashin: