Will this prevent screen burn?

xaote

Now motogp has started again, my LG OLED TV will be on the same channel for hours. The BT sport app I cast to the TV has a very solid logo.
Last year I used to change channel regularly to prevent screen burn (as well as pixel shift etc)
Today I came across an alternative, sort of by accident. I brought up the mouse curser to change a setting and had an idea.
Increase the size of the curser and run it over the logo every once in a while (or a map for gaming).
Do you think this will be enough or should I still change channels?

tvdavid

Glad I still have the other 65 inch XH95 tv for channels with logos on or monitor use.

fluxedman

Which LG OLED do you have?

If you have anything 2019/2020+ it should have the logo luminance feature to auto dim and pixel shift to move that channel logo about to fix any burn in issues really.

You could also try the zoom feature that just makes the entire logo move outside of the main display so no burn in can occur, but you do lose some of the stats on the bottom sadly. Some info on doing that here, but its on the 2020+ oleds:

johnpmc35

Screen burn on oled is different to plasma so briefly changing channel or running the pointer over it would make no difference. Think of it this way, oled is cumulative hours on screen, rather than consecutive (plasma). You may watch something only 30 mins a day but if you do that every day for 3 years, you could get screen burn. Having said this, I don't think the bt icon is particularly dangerous, in my experience it is bright red or yellow logos that you need to look out for

xaote

Which LG OLED do you have?

If you have anything 2019/2020+ it should have the logo luminance feature to auto dim and pixel shift to move that channel logo about to fix any burn in issues really.

You could also try the zoom feature that just makes the entire logo move outside of the main display so no burn in can occur, but you do lose some of the stats on the bottom sadly. Some info on doing that here, but its on the 2020+ oleds:

I'm so sorry for the delays replies guys, normally I get notifications of replies but don't seem to have on this thread.
Very helpful info, thank you.

It's a CX

The BT sport app is particularly solid compared to other channels/logos.
I have both of the screen saver settings you have mentioned set to on.

I never thought about using the screen zoom before, that's a fantastic idea! I just had a look at it, great being able to zoom in increments,

Many thanks

xaote

Screen burn on oled is different to plasma so briefly changing channel or running the pointer over it would make no difference. Think of it this way, oled is cumulative hours on screen, rather than consecutive (plasma). You may watch something only 30 mins a day but if you do that every day for 3 years, you could get screen burn. Having said this, I don't think the bt icon is particularly dangerous, in my experience it is bright red or yellow logos that you need to look out for
So I've been waving my arm around like an idiot for the last 2 weeks for nothing?!

That's really useful info, I had no idea that was the situation with oled.
As u suggested, I've been thinking plasma.

Cheers John.

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

I really don't understand why channels have to have permanent logos on-screen throughout the entire programme. I mean everyone knows what channel it is they are watching and if they don't then the Info button on the remote or the TV Guide will tell them. Not only is it annoying and sometimes intrusive but it just causes needless concern for owners of OLED TVs. Why not just show the logo periodically during the programmes, say, for a minute of two after adverts then fade it out?

It's one of the reasons I would rather watch a Blu-ray boxset than programmes recorded from Sky Q just so I can watch without intrusive logos and that was before I even got a LG B9 OLED TV!

xaote

I really don't understand why channels have to have permanent logos on-screen throughout the entire programme. I mean everyone knows what channel it is they are watching and if they don't then the Info button on the remote or the TV Guide will tell them. Not only is it annoying and sometimes intrusive but it just causes needless concern for owners of OLED TVs. Why not just show the logo periodically during the programmes, say, for a minute of two after adverts then fade it out?

It's one of the reasons I would rather watch a Blu-ray boxset than programmes recorded from Sky Q just so I can watch without intrusive logos and that was before I even got a LG B9 OLED TV!
Amen. I couldn't agree more

BoUnCiNBeN

i'm shocked by how well my CX actually handles static images. i expected it to be terrible and handled it with so much care the first few months. But now i just treat it the same as my old LED/LCD tvs and haven't noticed a single thing in everyday use. Very different to the old plasma's we were all used to.

fluxedman

i'm shocked by how well my CX actually handles static images. i expected it to be terrible and handled it with so much care the first few months. But now i just treat it the same as my old LED/LCD tvs and haven't noticed a single thing in everyday use. Very different to the old plasma's we were all used to.

Exactly how I treat my OLED also like an LED/LCD, they threw so much technology into preventing it its the entire kitchen sink really id be very shocked even after 5 years if we see burn in on the C9/CX+.

I don't hide logos, taskbars or anything just use it as a normal TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom