Answered Will this moniter play games at 4k on a Xbox One X?

4K or 3840x2160 is the resolution, the number of pixels on screen. More pixels can be used different ways, but most big games display the same picture and just use the resolution to add more detail (to the limit of what the art assets are capable of).

HDR is a different technology focused on improving picture quality by allowing content to specify colours and highlight brightness (contrast) that's closer to reality. Screens vary substantially in how much of those new colour and brightness ranges they can reproduce, ranging from none to very little on mid-range screens to high end screens that can produce a good improvement but are still some way short of the entire range the new standards allow.

HDR and 4K are almost entirely separate. I'm not sure if the Xbox needs 4K output to enable HDR, but it doesn't need HDR for 4K, and the PS4 Pro will do HDR at other resolutions.

Ok thanks, that's helpful.

I'm still confused from a gaming pov. Should my focus be a TV that outputs either HDR, 4K or both? Will I be able to tell the difference if I am playing 4k without HDR? It seems HDR is only available on bigger screens but I am limited to a 28" size screen for my setup.

That monitor has two HDMI ports only the second port supports 4K@60hz which is what Xbox requires.

Xbox will output games at 4K 60hz SDR, HDR is not required.

PC monitors are now using the Vesa Display HDR standard which comes in three levels that can roughly be described as 400 (entry level), 600 (midrange) 1000 (best), there are some supported products on that link.

A lot of the existing PC HDR monitors are not Vesa HDR certified and most would only be close to 400 class. This LG is one of the more popular monitors available if you want 4K and HDR.

If you want better HDR and are willing to sacrifice some resolution 1440p monitors like the Dell S2719DC and Samsung CHG70 are Vesa HDR 600 class. 4K is 2160p and Xbox downscales it's 4K output to 1440p.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
PC monitors are now using the Vesa Display HDR standard which comes in three levels that can roughly be described as 400 (entry level), 600 (midrange) 1000 (best), there are some supported products on that link.

It's not a standard in the engineering sense, but a certification program. It suffers the same flaw as the UHD Premium program of only testing the dynamic range in the most basic of ways that says nothing about how good the screen is with real content. It's essentially just a set of labels for manufacturers to pick and choose from, rather than a robust rating system for HDR performance.

DisplayHDR 400 is just a rebranding of standard desktop monitor capabilities (sRGB, 1000:1 contrast, 320cd/m²) to signify it can accept signals in HDR format. It's of some interest to laptops, which have frequently had worse displays, but can be ignore for monitors.

I'm still confused from a gaming pov. Should my focus be a TV that outputs either HDR, 4K or both? Will I be able to tell the difference if I am playing 4k without HDR? It seems HDR is only available on bigger screens but I am limited to a 28" size screen for my setup.

4K is tricky because it's size-based, and the size something appears depends on your distance as well as their physical size. Under about 1-1.2m for a 28" you might get some benefit from it, but if you're two or three meters away it's not going to make any difference on a screen that size.

There are a couple of 27" screens with good HDR support like the Dell UP2718Q and Asus PG27UQ. They're £1500+ though.

Money no object you'd go for HDR, it's a brilliant tech. On a more normal budget where only 4K and small amounts of HDR support are available it's a case of balancing cost against benefit for your particular use and setup.

Do you have a monitor already? There's a big difference in value if you're spending £300 on this to upgrade from a perfectly good monitor compared to spending an extra £100 on top of a monitor you were buying anyway.

Xbox One x is freesync, so I'd be looking for a 4k monitor with that feature.

That monitor has two HDMI ports only the second port supports 4K@60hz which is what Xbox requires.

Xbox will output games at 4K 60hz SDR, HDR is not required.

A lot of the existing PC HDR monitors are not Vesa HDR certified and most would only be close to 400 class. This LG is one of the more popular monitors available if you want 4K and HDR.

If you want better HDR and are willing to sacrifice some resolution 1440p monitors like the Dell S2719DC and Samsung CHG70 are Vesa HDR 600 class. 4K is 2160p and Xbox downscales it's 4K output to 1440p.

Thanks for explaining that. Those suggestions look tempting but they are way above my budget of around £250. I think I will have to leave HDR for now. As long as the lack of HDR is not a huge visual difference whilst gaming, I am not too concerned.

4K is tricky because it's size-based, and the size something appears depends on your distance as well as their physical size. Under about 1-1.2m for a 28" you might get some benefit from it, but if you're two or three meters away it's not going to make any difference on a screen that size.

There are a couple of 27" screens with good HDR support like the Dell UP2718Q and Asus PG27UQ. They're £1500+ though.

Money no object you'd go for HDR, it's a brilliant tech. On a more normal budget where only 4K and small amounts of HDR support are available it's a case of balancing cost against benefit for your particular use and setup.

Do you have a monitor already? There's a big difference in value if you're spending £300 on this to upgrade from a perfectly good monitor compared to spending an extra £100 on top of a monitor you were buying anyway.

Thanks for the info. I currently have a Logik 24" 1080p HD LED monitor. Since I bought a Xbox One X a couple months ago I wanted to upgrade to something slightly larger that would also output 4k for gaming. My budget for a new monitor was around £250. I've actually purchased the Samsung monitor I linked yesterday for £200 (it's now gone up to £300 as black Friday is over). I think based on what I've read here I think the new Samsung monitor I've purchased seems to be good value for money. I sit about 1 metre away from TV also if that helps too.

Xbox One x is freesync, so I'd be looking for a 4k monitor with that feature.

I think the samsung monitor I've purchased does indeed include freesync?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've done some further research on monitors and I think I will stick with the Samsung monitor I purchased mostly down to cost and my screen size limitation. Hopefully I can tell some difference whilst gaming in 4k in comparison to 1080p!

Appreciate all the help! :thumbsup:

Could you let me know me here, how you get on with it? Looks like a decent monitor for the price.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom