Will this make a decnt setup

Smoking Kippers

Novice Member
Reaction score
I currently have an LG OLED55C7V paired with a rather dated Sony 5.1 all in one system

I want to replace this with a 4K compatible setup to be paired with my gaming PC, Sky Q, Apple TV and later next year a PS5.

System Builder

That’s my current gaming pc although as soon as I can get hold of one I’ll be swapping out the 1080ti for a 3080. Unfortunately my Sony HT-AS5 is currently capped at 1080p so I need something that will allow 4K and up to 120hrz. I was immediately drawn to the new Denon:

Is that going to be the best version for my needs or is there a cheaper alternative? I won’t be going for 8k or Atmos initially but I’d like the option down the road.

For speakers I was looking at these:

I was looking at some more expensive options from Dali or Q Acoustics with floor standing speakers but I think they are just going to be too excessive in my current living room. Plus I really like the Klipsch aesthetics which will work well in my living room.

Last edited:
My ultimate ambition is to build a setup using these:

But as I say this would be too excessive in my current living room but if the receiver will support it it’s something i can upgrade to in a couple of years

The AVR-X2700H supports the latest HDMI video technologies such as 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, Dynamic HDR, HLG, as well as 8K upscaling and HDCP 2.3 support on all HDMI inputs (6 in/2 out).

If you want to connect the new PS5 through receiver then this model is up for it with HDMI 2.1 input and outputs (1+2). You should wait until black friday / early christmas deals. The price is still bit too high and it should come down December / January. Especially if any savings can be used to better speakers & subwoofer!

I think you would do much better if you could pick almost any of the popular bookshelf systems. If you like the Dalis then pair of Spektor 2 for mains, Spektor Vocal, Spektor 1 for surround sides. There is walnut and white too available if the black is bit cheap looking. If the rounded cabinets of Q Acoustic looks better then 3020i mains, 3090Ci Centre, 3010i for surround sides. And then subwoofer from BKE. The whole system would cost 750£ or so, but you would also need speaker stands / brackets.

The cheap system you looked has plastic cabinets and tiny drivers. Even the more expensive Reference range you linked, let´s just say that there is lot better options for less money! That is cheap serie in US, not in UK! The better stuff with Klipsch is with Reference Premiere (RP) range.

If you want smaller satellite type of system with less boxy look then consider Focal Sib EVO Atmos system which also sounded better than the 700£ Klipsch package in CNET review. Not really hard to believe and you got the upfiring atmos modules too as extra. Of course you need flat and reflective ceiling and speaker to listener distance around 1,5-3meters for it work decently. The speakers are good, but the subwoofer is bit let down, but it´s the same for all cheaper package systems. You can however upgrade it later in future and bring your system to another level quite easily.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Since posting the thread I did start to wonder if I’d be better off getting the Klipsch centre speaker and sun from the second set I posted and then add to it with the remaining front and rear speakers when I can afford to. I always see Klipsch on Instagram and while the look amazing I didn’t know if they were actually any good...

I have been recommended the Focal Sib before but I just don’t like the look of them. I know I’m leaning more to aesthetics over function but it really is a big deal to me.

If the Klipsch aren’t worth the hefty price tag I’d much rather go for the Dali. Again I’d probably start with a centre speaker and sub then add the rest next year unless there’s any issue with doing that?

Finally daft question but do these speakers come with all the necessary wires I need or are they all separate?

Is that the setup your referring to Gasp? I really like the look of these but in my current living room I’d be more tempted to go for some bookshelf speakers for the front rather than the standing

No. If your use is movies & gaming you don´t need towers as in floorstanders. But you need to put some effor for better subwoofer and there is no matching requirements so pick wisely, stay away from Dali subs and the likes. Buy from brand that specializes in to woofers so you get your moneys worth! Will link it below. Here the Dalis i would consider for normal small/med sized living room. For "rears" the smaller Spektor 1 is fine.

You will get best results if you buy speaker stands either new or 2nd hand, 20-60£/pair. For main left/right speakers pick ~600mm height and for "rears" 600-1000mm or wall mount them. With the stands you get the main speakers pushed more wider apart and the tweeters will be at correct height when you sit. In many cases av-cabinets are too narrow and too low, so not optimal.

So you would first buy new av-receiver and main speakers (Spektor 2) and then subwoofer. As you live in UK your best bet is to order from BKE. No middle man, direct to customer with very low pricing. You get to choose the finish to suit your room decor too! My recommendation would to be spend as much as you can, but it´s up to you. If you want something small then Gemini II or XLS200.

As for speaker wires you need to buy them separate. Pick some basic OFC cable roll example 30meters so you can cut from it the necessary amount when you add more speakers. This is good enough and i can link white colour too if needed.
Amazon product ASIN B01C79VEEC

Perfect, thank you.

Final two questions, can I add Dolby Atmos speakers to this at a later date? I’ve noticed Dali have a set of wall speakers that match the ones you recommended.

Also do I need special clips for the wires to plug into the receiver?

can I add Dolby Atmos speakers to this at a later date?

Absolutely, but only 2 with that AVR.
I'll add that you don't need Atmos content to use your Atmos speakers. Your AVR can upscale 5.1 audio tracks to use them and it can be surprisingly effective at times. Don't expect your ceiling to come alive though, it's more subtle than that most of the time, most people seem to notice it's like a bubble of sound.

Also do I need special clips for the wires to plug into the receiver?

You don't "need" them. The AVR will have binding posts that you unscrew and attach the wires, then tighten them up. You can buy "Banana plugs" which are not expensive which plug into the hole in the binding post.

Amazon product ASIN B00169BIF0
Note that you'll need 10 of them to start off with and another 4 for your Atmos speakers to connect to the AVR. If the speakers you buy accept them, then you'd need double that, but again they'll have binding posts, so it's not essential.

Some detail on the room and room layout would be helpful when it comes to suggesting suitable loudspeakers and system configuration.

Joe

Some detail on the room and room layout would be helpful when it comes to suggesting suitable loudspeakers and system configuration.

Joe

The room is around 14ft by 11.5ft and I’ve attached a couple of pictures of my current setup. I’ll be taking the centre door off the besta unit to make room for the receiver and the centre speaker.
CF4F2A69-1B22-4C42-9D94-E239435DEC55.jpeg
842E3521-109D-4A95-9735-BAFE6BFD6344.jpeg

I’m going to be taking the plunge on these over Black Friday. Just confirming it’s all going to make a good setup?

I’ll be sticking with the receiver I put in my original post as I was going to go with this speaker package. I know the previous poster said get a different sub but I just prefer the

For HDMI I was going to get 3 of these:

One for Apple TV 4K, one for my gaming pc and one to run from the receiver to the tv...unless there are any better/cheaper options?

Belkin still trying hard with the word salad - it’s a High Speed cable with a load of marketing crap added to the naming and a price tag to match.

Look for a ‘Premium High Speed’ certified cable - you ought to be able to find them at closer to half the indicated price.

Joe

Amazon Basics cables or Monoprice are fine and cheaper. As above look for what Joe says.

I'd agree with the other comments about the sub. You can get something much better, 8" woofers are very small for a sub.
The likes of BK electronics are highly regarded here on the forum. They regularly have subs available on ebay that have minor (if any) cosmetic damage at even cheaper prices.

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

" I’ll be taking the centre door off the besta unit to make room for the receiver and the centre speaker. "

For receiver that is fine if there is space on the sides and top for ventilation. For the centre channel you should keep it on the top of the unit at the front same as with the main left/right speakers. Don´t put the speaker inside cabinet or the sound will suffer!

You can keep the sub, but RS also let´s you purchase the system without it. Usually subwoofer is the first one to be swapped cause the one coming with packages are quite poor. But of course if you don´t have money now to spend something better then start with Dali.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I always seem to have mixed results with hdmi when pairing them with my gaming pc. From what I understand 4K with 60hrz or more is very hit and miss with cables longer than 2m. When I get the new setup I’m chucking the pc into a smaller case and putting it down the side of the unit where my current sub is sitting. Hopefully any 2m cable will do the trick then?

It shouldn't have an issue.

If and when you update your TV and GPU to something that has HDMI 2.1 or buy a next-generation console you'd want to replace them with newer cables, but only when you had both of them, If you bought a PS5 and keep your current TV there's no point.

So I'd always make sure to keep your cables reasonably accessible so you don't have to start dismantling everything just to switch a cable over.

The new LG OLEDs have hdmi 2.1, 120hrz AND Apple TV built in dont they? I believe my current OLED can only do 4K at 60hrz?

I nearly bit on the X2700H over the Black Friday weekend but I’ve been reading that it has some issues with hdmi 2.1 and 4K 140hz? Is it worth holding out until next year if I’m going to be having it hooked up to a gaming pc with a 3080 GPU?

Pretty much everything is having an issue with 2.1 from what I've read.

I nearly bit on the X2700H over the Black Friday weekend but I’ve been reading that it has some issues with hdmi 2.1 and 4K 140hz? Is it worth holding out until next year if I’m going to be having it hooked up to a gaming pc with a 3080 GPU?
It's to do with a chip that doesn't match the requirements for uncompressed 120hz format. If you have a PS5 that's not going to affect you as it passes the compressed format over HDMI 2.1. Denon and Marantz owners, South United, are working on a fix.

You would still be able to connect to a 2.1 TV and play back audio via eARC (required for HD audio) or ARC/optical for SD audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom