1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will this improve picture? be honest

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GuitarGray, Jan 17, 2003.

1. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have dvd, sky, vhs composite video,going to a argos switcher box that can handle rgb with the push of a button.
    all are going to composite at the moment. i want to get a cable to send them all to rgb,,,,will this work?
    will it realy drasticaly improve picture
    i did use a £20 dvd to s-video lead and to be honest saw no difference ,i know technicaly there is 1 but i did not see a difference. (i have good eye sight and im fussy about things beig right (exept spelling)
    im using a 42 panny plasma screen.
    thanks for putting up with all th conection threads
    and the sticky is good but...
    Graeme
    Graeme

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    DVD and Sky are component in nature (ie the Sky signal is broadcast digital component and the inof on a DVD is digital component)

VHS is composite in nature, as is terrestrial analogue TV.

They all have to become RGB at some point as that is how the display works.

With your VCR you need to find out what is best at doing the conversion to RGB. The switcher (unlikely) or the Plasma itself.

With the DVD and Sky you might want to consider sending them as component signal direct to the plasma. You could do this by using the component out of the DVD (if it has it) to a switcher and the RGBoutput from the scart of the SkyBox to a transcoder to make it Component then that on to the switcher.

RGB to Component and vice versa should be lossless. Composite is already knackered so don't expect any great shakes there. Once you go below Component or RGB there is no way to retrieve the lost information. You really, really don't want to use composite out of the DVD or Sky. To see an obvious difference of what the higher spec signal does get Star Trek Insurrection adn play opening scene. Look at the straw the kid jumps out of. With composite it will be a morras of little rainbow's of colour. With s-video, component or RGB it should be solid, defined bits of straw.......

The usual way someone wires up a system like yours though is like this

VCR, Scart to composite input on plasma
    Sky, RGB from Scart to RGBtoVGA convertor then from the comnvertor to the PC input on plasma using an HD15 to HD15 lead
    DVD, Component out to component in on plasma.

Gordon

3. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks gordon that was very well explained . im still unsure what way to go but i understand a lot more now :) thanks

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    GuitarGrey,
    "£20 dvd to s-video lead"
    Do I assume this was a SCART to S-Video lead?
    If so, SCART can only carry S-Video OR RGB at one time, because the two standards share pins.

Do you know if your DVD player was set to output S-video when you did the test?

If not then I think you may have been watching composite over the S-Video lead! Hence why you didn't see a difference.

BTW I still think Gordon's advice holds true.
    regards,
    Rob.

5. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was using s- video to s-video lead from s video output on dvd to s video in on plasma cant remember if i had to or actualy did change any settins on dvd..but im sure there was no diference in picture...and my dvd dosnt have component out :( only rgb, s-video or composite so im using scart to scart switcher for all my items then inputing to composite, i will get a scart to rgb + sync leed soon that should give an improvement but will probably end up with the gordon solution in the end..(more leads to add to my collection)..
    Gray

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    GuitarGray

Just to give you a few more options to think though :)

You say your switcher is capable of RGB switching - keep in mind this is not RGB conversion; your switcher does not change or match any signals its just that it has the ability to switch different types of signal but if they come in as Composite they go back out as Composite.

In your system you could combine your switcher with an RGB Converter so that you end up with two switched RGB signals and one Composite video signal from the VHS deck.

So:

DVD - RGB SCART out to SCART Switch.
    SKY - RGB SCART out to SCART Switch.
    VHS - Composite out to Composite in on plasma.

SCART Switch - RGB out to RGB2VGA converter
    RGB2VGA converter - RGB out to RGBHV in on plasma display

In your system you can go in to the plasma display with the RGBHV signal on either the RCA (or BNC) terminal board or the 15 pin VGA socket (you will get the same result through either input).

You say that your DVD player showed no or little difference on S-Video over Composite video - this is unexpected but not impossible; maybe its time for a new DVD player!

Best regards

Joe

7. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    har har joe :)
    it is a new dvd (a realy cheap nasty one but....its my first 1 and it lead me to spend 4 grand on a plasma ...MMMmm not so cheeeep after all,,,
    but maybe your correct and i do need to upgrade and go seperate dvd and av amp instead of the combined one i have ..truble is im now out of cash well maybwe a few hundred left but i dont think ide gain much with that cash
    any idea what a sensible upgrade price would be??
    maybe a few sugestions on models too??
    thanks for al the help
    Graeme