1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this improve my system with Music?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by supo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Canton Movie CD 1 Sub-satellite system with Pioneer VSX-C502 AV receiver. But I am not happy with the music quality, though I am using a DVD player to play CDs. What is my best option in getting good music quality?

1. Will adding a stereo amplifier improve significantly the performance of this system with Music? Any recommendations if it will (budget around £200-250)
    2. Will a dedicated cd player cause a significant improvement in music
    3. Do I need both a dedicated cd player and a stereo amplifier

Hope you will not be asking me to change the system completely!
    supee :lease:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Supee,
    A lot depends on how fussy you are.
    Adding a good external DAC to the DVD player will improve the CD Playback beyond most CD players.
    Adding a stereo amp and using the AV amp as a pre amp will improve the CD playback. But then you'll find the speakers my be limiting things.
    Bottom line is there's no easy way to improve the cd playback without altering the system heavily and then you're into money.
    I guess in your situation adding a power amp might be the best option.
    All I can suggest is get yourself round to your local dealer and start listening. See if you can arrange to loan a power amp from them to try at home. At least that way you'll know if you're wasting your money or not.
    Good luck.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not sure about all of your advice Knightshade, looking at the system I suspect it's the preamp section of the Pioneer amp that's the root of the problem. I do agree that a major upgrade will involve a serious shuffling of components, a dedicated stereo amp should improve both the pre- and power amplifier stages but then you'll be stuck with a DVD player for a source which will again be limiting performance.

The only advice I can really give in your situation is ask a dealer to try and concoct a system similar to what you have now and add/remove bits where you can. As your stuff isn't too big you may be able to take the speakers and amp with you for testing purposes if you ask really nicely. :)

EDIT: Just to add that you actually seem to have made a good price-compatible system as it is. It's just that it's almost impossible to get a good mix of movie/music performance at that price.

4. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice the only thing I would like to add is take a good look at the speakers esp the front mains. Personally none of the speaker packages designed for DVD movies are ever going to be good for music compared with purpose built HiFi speakers. I came to HT from the HiFi angle and that is why when buying my current system the speakers were the toughest and most important decision. It's hard to state the obvious but be honest you could have the best source components in the world but if you feed them into a pair of el cheapo boxes the results are going to be underwhelming to say the least.

5. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How great will you expect any improvement to be - a lot or only a little?

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would not expect much improvement. Certainly not any that could be justified on a cost for performance criteria.

It is a nicely balanced “little” AV system, with stereo ability added as an afterthought. Any improvements made to the source or amplification will be held back by the speakers.

The only recommendation I would make is perhaps look at a new DVD/CD player (without currently knowing what you are using as a source). Anything above the Pioneer DV-575A (or its equivalents) would be as far as I would push your current system to.

7. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. May be I will have to look at a total replacement of what I have now. Any recommendations ? I prefer equipment as small as possible(ie speakers, amp)

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Buy a pair of CD100's for front 2 (or CD50s's if you REALLY want smaller). You can move the current 2 CD10s to the back middle for a 7.1 system if you wish). See Canton powerbuy thread for prices on these. I believe with the CD100s you will notice a distinct improvement in music sound Q.

9. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My own view on this is that NO sub/sat package will give an adequate stereo experience (but then again, what is satisfactory to me might be excellent or crap to someone else.

Hence, I would recommend supplementing any sub/sat package with a dedicated set of stereo speakers. Either running them of the 2nd zone of the amp (if available) or incorporate them with the sub/sat system to get a 7.1 configuration (or if the sat’s can be purchased individually, then only purchase as many as required).

Ignoring your requirement for a small discrete amp (which I know very little about); the entry level Marantz are my preferred AV amp for stereo ability. Older models, the Harman Kardon 4500 and up models are also good (and better for driving more difficult speakers).

10. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am certainly learning ! I didn't know this will be that complicated. I thing I now have a severe form of upgraditis! Hope its cured quickly.

11. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cure???

Did you not know that there is no known cure! :rotfl:

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678

Apart from not readsing any av mags, not going to forums like these and defintly not looking online (especialy ebay) for things that could make your system better. In other words cut your self off from the av/hi fi world. :lesson:

But who would want to do that :devil:

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    There is no easy way, as you say he has a well balanced system at the moment. Whatever is added will be limited by the rest..... Poor Devil!

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think without spending alot more money upgrading everything, it may be cheaper to make a new stero system, although thats not all ways got what the fudge.

What DVD player are you using, are you using digital or anolauge to connect it to the amp?

15. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have thought for music, upgrading your fronts from satellite CD10's to CD100s or CD50s (for budget option) would give you a better stereo sound. They go deeper than the CD10s and are great speakers. You should find they fill the midrange gap you've got with satellites nicely for better stereo.

Supee, you could try asking Jake on his thread if it's worth upgrade to CD50/CD100s with your amp...