Will this HTPC work ?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by gixxermenace, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gixxermenace

gixxermenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am currently storing all my movies on my Buffalo NAS box and watching them on my 32" Sony LCD downstairs using XBMC on my Xbox 1 via component cables, this is working brilliantly but i was thinking about the option of building a Media Centre using parts i have left over from a Dell Dimension, it has a 2.2ghz P4 processor, 1gb RAM, Geforce FX 5700 Ultra card and pioneer DVDRW/CDRW

Is it just a matter of getting a media case that fits the board (like the looks of the silverstone ones) and throwing all of my Dell Dimension inside and installing Windows Media Centre 2005 ?

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Be fine for SD and 720p playback, but will probably stutter with 1080p material.

3. gixxermenace

gixxermenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SD ?
    and i think my tv only goes upto 720p (although it says in the top corner sometimes 1080p but i have been told this is something to do with the TV upsampling or something

think i am going to get a Silverstone SST-LC-17 Black, will this handle my dimension ATX motherboard and PSU ok ?

4. gixxermenace

gixxermenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone got any history with Silverstone SST-LC-17 Black media centre case ?

Also

My NAS box is on a workgroup (not a domain) will i simply be able to map drives to it from Media Centre 2005 ?

5. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    SD= Standard Definition
    I use a NAS on my LAN, just map a network drive, it'll appear as Z: which you can then add to MCE directory paths.

That case is a desktop style ATX, which'll support ATX & MATX boards, and standard ATX PSU. However exhaust fans are 3x8cm, which'll mean it'll be louder than a case with a 12cm exhaust. You'll probably have to set to them 7v for added silence.

6. gixxermenace

gixxermenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    is it a good case to get ? it looks good i think

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Good price, front panel is metal, full ATX...seems good. If you find the case fans a bit loud volt mod them. A PSU isn't supplied so add another £50 ontop.

8. gixxermenace

gixxermenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With the above spec htpc will it look better than my xbmc i am currently running at 720p on my LCD or should i just stick with that ?

9. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Original XB doesn't have CPU power for 1080p, also afaik a HTPC is quieter, and can be made as quiet as you like or budget allows. I don't have Xbox though.

10. BiffBoy

BiffBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    True, you can only realistically upscale to 720p on a standard Xbox.

But, you can replace the stock fan with a quieter model (with a bit of tinkering inside the box) to make it near silent. I like the option in XBMC to stop the internal HDD when you are streaming video/music over a LAN, as I am from a hidden NAS. Although I still have the stock noisy fan, just the HDD stopping makes a big difference.

I will be using my XBOX w/XBMC to upscale DVD´s to 720p until I get my own HTPC sorted though, which will replace my XBOC, Humax Freeview recorder etc.