1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this do what I want it to?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by storming, Nov 20, 2004.

1. storming

storming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided the time has come to purchase a budget model DVD Recorder and my local Makro store has a Goodmans GDVD300R for only £120 + VAT which is the cheapest price I have seen for any recorder anywhere. However as my technical knowledge is somewhat limited I am hoping that someone might be able to confirm or otherwise that this machine will be able to do the following:-

1. Copy VHS tapes using my old Akai VCR.
    2. Copy programmes/films stored in my Sky+ Planner.
    3. Copy DVDs from my other DVD player ( which i intend to keep using because it is set up with a 5.1 surroud sound thingy).
    4. Copy from a digital camcorder ( which i havn't got yet but should be buying next spring when they have come down in price a bit more).

If anyone can advise it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Out of the four things you list I can guarantee the Goodmans will be awful at all four.

The Goodmans is based on a Philips reference design and, accordingly, has no Time Base Corrector. Hence it is badly equipped to record from noisy analogue sources - especially if your VCR is below par.

The Goodmans has no RGB input which means your going to be archiving in S-Video or, even worse, composite :eek:

You'll need special cables for this (to defeat copy protection) whatever DVD recorder you get. Assuming you get/have got them though again the lack of RGB input means you'll be recording a below average picture.

And the Goodmans has no iLink connection which makes it less than perfect for doing the above as well.

Not being funny but there is a reason why the Goodmans is so cheap - it's because it's c***. If you really on a tight budget you would be better off looking at the LG4912 but, if you can push the budget a little bit more, you get much better results from the Pioneer 220 or Panasonic E55.

3. storming

storming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice. I suppose the old adage " you get what you pay for" will usually be true. It looks like the panasonic E55 could be my best choice and available for under £200 which is the absolute max I want to pay.

Will it be easy to set it up with my existing Sky+ box and vcr and will there be any expensive "extras" I will need, such as cables etc? Cheers.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Do note the Panasonic E55 doesn't have iLink (for a Digital Camcorder). You can still connect via S-Video but it won't be quite as good. For your other requirements though the E55 will be fine.

Very easy to connect - hook up using Scart cables - how much you invest in these is upto you.

5. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E55 was/is available from Dixons website for £179.00, it is a web offer only so don't bother going into the store to try get it (it's £239 or something like that in store).

Also, see my posting on cheepest E85, it's a German website but can be read in english and very cheep too (as are all German electrical websites), it is possible that you could get the E65 for about the £200 mark and this does have the iLink facility that you are looking for.