1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this change of speaker be worth it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cdb, May 18, 2003.

1. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I currently have abit of a mix of speaker in my home cinema set up. Mission 773e's front pair, MS T1000 centre, kef coda 8's rear, Rel Q100e sub. Will replacing them with the B&W VM1/AS1 be an improvement? The missions are a very good speaker but are the B&W's as good to replace them or is it a downgrade? I only have a smallish sitting room and mounting the B&W's on the wall would free some space up for me. Reciever is a Sony strdb 930, but looking to upgrade this year to either a Denon AVR 3803 or Pioneer VSX-D2011.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I would look at replacing the centre with the matching Mission 77c ... should still be avaliable from Richer Sounds.

Then either keep the rears, or just replace those with B&W VM1, Kef Eggs or similar. Keep the REL Q100E.

3. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I did consider getting the matching centre and probably will if I can get it from Richer sounds cheap. I thought the B&W set up might tidy my living room up abit. Am I right in assuming by your recommendations that with these changes I'll sound as good as the B&Ws?

4. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unless you spend a huge amount generally "style" speakers wont sound as good as normal "ugly" boxes. In another thread (im affraid I cant remember which one) someone wanted to buy the B&W's but found the sub wasnt great so they listened to them with a bigger B&W sub and found they were much better. It could be worth looking into buying the the speakers (for i think £125 each) and keeping your REL sub. Hopefully someone might give a link to the thread where this was discussed!

5. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I think about keeping the sub and running 2 subs. I don't know how well they'd be matched tho. My other option I guess would be upgrading the whole system to mission. Which tempts me to buy a cheap av pack with another pair of 773es for the rear pair, but again space is realy the issue. Would that be overkill?