• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Will there ever be a 42" OLED TV?

psychopomp1

I'm probably in the minority here but when the day comes to replace my 42" Pioneer Kuro plasma, I would like to replace it with the same size (due to space restrictions) & since plasma TVs are no longer made, I guess an OLED TV would be the next best thing for someone in my situation. However OLEDs in 50+ inch sizes appear to be the norm with no hint of smaller size OLEDs being released. Do folks think there's a chance we would see 42" OLED TVs in the future or is there zero chance of that? My Pioneer Kuro Plasma is still going strong but obviously its not going to last forever :(. The thought of never having a TV as good as that in the same size again makes me shudder :eek:

Last edited:

ht76

Standard Member
As mentioned by George, the 48" may be your best option. The LG OLED TVs come with nearly no bezel, so it will only little bigger than the 42" Pioneer Kuro.

It won't likely be out until next year, due to the TVs being dependent on the MMG process coming online on December 5th.

LG to Use MMG to Expand Output of Gen 8.5 Fab_12/10/18
Sisa Journal, a Korea online news source, reported that LGD will be adding a 48” OLED TV panel in product line-up along with 55”, 65” and 77” OLED TV panel, applying MMG on December 5.

The LG roadmap is easier to see in the Youtube video than some other stories that I have seen.
HDTVTest (Vincent Teoh) Smaller 48-inch OLED TV is Coming!:

psychopomp1

Thanks fellas. 48” OLED might still be too big so I guess i will have to wait & see when the time comes to replace my Kuro Plasma. I’ve heard that notebook manufacturers have announced OLED screens so I guess it’s probably just a matter of time before a 42-43” OLED tv is released.

Out of curiosity do folks think more energy efficient plasma TVs could make a comeback? Or is plasma technology dead for good?

ht76

Standard Member
I haven't seen any new developments about Plasma TV. It seems that the new development is focused at MicroLED and OLED for the future.

ht76

Standard Member
Thanks fellas. 48” OLED might still be too big so I guess i will have to wait & see when the time comes to replace my Kuro Plasma. I’ve heard that notebook manufacturers have announced OLED screens so I guess it’s probably just a matter of time before a 42-43” OLED tv is released.

Out of curiosity do folks think more energy efficient plasma TVs could make a comeback? Or is plasma technology dead for good?

When you have an inch of bezel, it adds two inches to the width, 1" for left and 1" for right

The LG 55" B8 is less wide than the Kuro 50".
55" LG B8 Width 48.3"
50" Kuro Width 48.5"

A 48" OLED TV would have a 42" width(41.8 + 0.1" left bezel + 0.1" right bezel).
A 42" Kuro TV would be 41" width.

If you really do need that inch, you are out of luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom