Will There Be New Format For 1080p?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timbo21, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    As TI announce their 1080p chip does this mean that to get full resolution 1080p
    for DVD we will need another new format above current HD-DVD & Blu-Ray?

I've heard 1080p needs much more space than 720p/1080i. So, will HD-DVD be able to handle 1080p? I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray can, since it theoretically could go up to 200GB with multi-layers.

Will HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players be 1080p compatible?

If there are going to be different formats, i.e. 720p/1080i, and then 1080p,
    maybe you could start with HD-DVD for 720p/1080i & then move onto
    Blu-Ray for 1080p!

I assume that it will all be one format, otherwise it would be pretty horrendous
    for consumers if there was a higher resolution format waiting in the wings even before the previous one was properly underway! :eek:

2. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See, now this just isn't the attitude that the studios want to hear before they unleash the holy war between Hd-dvd and Blu-ray!!

I have almost got to the point of giving up (already) about even worrying about the next generation of players and discs. I figure I shall just wait until about 2-3 years after it has all been released and then carefully pick my way around the cooling carcasses of the losers and pick up the bargains that the early adopters have fought so hard for me to benefit from. Thanks in advance...;)

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I read in HCC that the studios were no longer making money from SD DVD, and I think they said DVD hadn't quite gone 10 years. Therefore, they need a new format so they can sell us everything again.

So, if SD DVD has lasted 10 years, you can bet HD 720p/1080i will last probably 2- 3 years before 1080p is being ushered in, followed by 1920p or something 1 year later :eek: .

Ever get the feeling you're being conned.

T.

4. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely mate. The more that I read about the new techs coming through the less I see about how great the picture shall be and the more that I see this as the studios just wanting to sell us all of the films that we have already got.

But the problem is that vhs->dvd was the money spinner just like lp->cd was. Seems like they have already forgotten what happened when they tried to go cd->minidisc and the public said 'erm, no thanks'...

5. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone has figured it out... I think the future of High Def DVD is far from assured. Wait and see... it could just as easily go the way of SACD and DVD-A, mediums only of interest to a small segment of the market because the general public said "hang on, haven't we been here before?"

Oh, and as for the 1080p thing - there's a little ticking timebomb the industry doesn't want to talk about right now so they're being very quiet about it - whisper whisper... after hitching their trailer behind HDMI rather than DVI... turns out HDMI has issues handling the bandwidth required for 1080p. Oh yes, it does. I wouldn't touch one of the initial players with a bargepole until that's sorted out, otherwise the difference between the new players and upscaling to 720p/1080i (which we can do today already) will be so negligible (unless you have a huge screen) that no-one will care.

6. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Given that there are 1080i films of 2 hours clocking in at over 20GB right now then it could be a poblem for HD-DVD though they do have discs that hold 45GB.

I think the whole thing will be way too confusing for most people and it will be a good few years before anyone bothers thinking about the new formats by which time there should be a 'winner'

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Toshiba, Sony, Philips & the like could do a crafty little deal where HD-DVD presides for a few years before going over to Blu-Ray technology for 1080p!

This is highly unlikely tho, since both sides are so greedy they will want to
    dominate everything with one or the other.

8. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See, now this is something that I haven't even come across before. It just makes me even more determined to snicker at what the studios are doing and just enjoy what I already have which two years ago I wouldn't have even believed possible.

:thumbsdow to them all or even 'A plague o' both your houses' if I am going to be terribly pretentious...

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Can I just stick my hand up and say I'll be happy with 720p...

I'll get me coat... PJ :D

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    :smashin:

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Let's just hope your bargain isn't another LD or DCC player! ;)

...PJ :)

12. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole 1080p thing has almost made my recent purchase of a 1368x768 TV go sour, it reallt has.

I mean, I initially shook off 1080p, as no-one really mentioned much about it until Sony announced the PS3 would support that reasolution. Meaningless hype in itself - my PC can 'do' 2048x1536, but it doesn't mean that's going to be useful for running things faster than dead-sloth pace. But as time has went on, more and more people have been talking about 1080p and 'True HD support'. Grr.

13. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest with you I really wouldn't worry about it too much. As has been talked about here, as well as to death in other places of t'net' the new formats and resolutions are still very much up in the air. If I was buying anything new right now I would just concentrate on how much pleasure I would get out of it right NOW rather than thinking a few years down the line. Future-proofing is a fine idea but if the companies making the damn things don't know how it is all going to end up then we as consumers really have no idea...

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I think we will all have to forget about future proofing.

As technology seems to be growing exponentialy, the minute you buy something, it is sure to be outdated in a short while. it's been like that with PC's for ages now.

As mattwakeman points out, just buy soemthing you feel you will be happy with Now, and hopefully for a few years to come (if that's possible).

I recently bought an infocus 7205, which is a 720p native projector. This was one of the best for the price, but Optoma came along a few months later & brought out one for same or less money, with the latest TI chip & with amazing contrast!

When it comes down to it tho, there isn't enough good film content to consider
    constantly upgrading.

T.

15. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I dont think anyone in the industry is compelling any of us sensible (mainstream) consumers to buy at the moment

they have to understand why CD's were such a success and why I still dont know anyone who buys DVD-A/SACD
    DVD has been a hugh success (DVD recordable a hugh mess)

DVD quality is getting better all the time and will continue to be dominant unless they sort the next gen stuff out.

p.s.
    using the approved compression standards most movies will easily fit onto 30Gb at 1080p.
    also a lot of people forget that the next gen DVD's wont just be about picture improvements - but audio as well. Dolby and DTS will unleash hell via our speakers.... :devil: