Will there be a Switch Pro in the coming year?

I would be very surprised if they specifically made a 4k version. They've shown no appetite to just do what Sony and MS do, and I'm glad. There has been very little innovation again from Sony and MS for their consoles other than "shinier graphics" so what would be the point? Nintendo are clearly doing fine the way they are.

That said, I can see the benefit of a hardware revision at some point in the future, I just don't think it will be a radical change from what they have now.

Seeing both PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out end of year, will Nintendo come up with a console only version Switch Pro that can do 4K resolution?
I'd love to see a powerful console only version of the Switch.

I'd love to see a powerful console only version of the Switch.
But for what? Given how popular the Switch has been, is there really a significant market of people out there who would buy it? Surely most of those who didn't buy the current models are perfectly happy with their PS4/XBOne gaming, and it would make little sense for Nintendo to directly go up against them.

I like Nintendo's game play. But seeing the Witcher 3 on Switch and PS4, I must say my eyes can tell the great difference. It will be nice to have Switch's game play and Nintendo's titles with 4K resolution in console mode

But for what? Given how popular the Switch has been, is there really a significant market of people out there who would buy it? Surely most of those who didn't buy the current models are perfectly happy with their PS4/XBOne gaming, and it would make little sense for Nintendo to directly go up against them.
Why not?

It will allow them to improve even further on the quality of the games they create. It will allow more third party titles to be on par with the versions they release elsewhere.

Why not?

It will allow them to improve even further on the quality of the games they create. It will allow more third party titles to be on par with the versions they release elsewhere.
Because there isn't room in the market for a 3rd console that just focuses on specs. They would just drive up the price of their consoles for no reason other than to compete with Sony t and ms in a market they already have a stranglehold on.

Because there isn't room in the market for a 3rd console that just focuses on specs. They would just drive up the price of their consoles for no reason other than to compete with Sony t and ms in a market they already have a stranglehold on.
It doesn't have to be as powerful as the new PS5 or X1. Just a more powerful console only version of the Switch.

I only ever play the Switch on the TV so I treat it basically as a console anyway.

It doesn't have to be as powerful as the new PS5 or X1. Just a more powerful console only version of the Switch.

I only ever play the Switch on the TV so I treat it basically as a console anyway.
We’ve already seen with the ‘New’ 3DS & also analogue stick attachment, hardly any games will come out that take advantage of any extra power.
Most developers (including Nintendo) will just develop with the standard hardware in mind as that will be 90+% of the Switch userbase.
Not put their effort into the less than 10% who have a pro model.

I think we will see a new Switch at some point in the future, but I don't think it'll offer a massive upgrade on what we have now. Perhaps a small bump in memory and graphics, but nothing like 4k. Nintendo have said previously that they don't see Sony and Microsoft as competition and won't be following their models.
It will be interesting to see what comes next though. I still use my launch model daily, but like many others I mostly use it on the TV so a home only console would definitely catch my attention.

I honestly think the regular Switch is not for portable gaming. If someone carry such a big machine with them, it always gets my attention. It is simply too big to be truly portable. I guess that's why Nintendo come out with Switch Lite, it is a much better form factor. So on the other hand, will Nintendo do a console only version? I think there is a good market for console only version of Switch. Without the concern for portability and battery life, they can do some decent upgrade on the hardware. Just like what Microsoft is doing with XBOX series X and series S, you can have 1080P version and 4K version. For developers, the development effort should be the same.

I almost exclusively use my portably - either when i'm getting the kids to sleep, or when I get the train to and from work (man I miss those days!).

Nintendo won't get any benefit from going directly against Microsoft. Getting generic 3rd party support just because they can support higher resolutions isn't going to boost sales considerably.

I almost exclusively use my portably - either when i'm getting the kids to sleep, or when I get the train to and from work (man I miss those days!).

Nintendo won't get any benefit from going directly against Microsoft. Getting generic 3rd party support just because they can support higher resolutions isn't going to boost sales considerably.
How do you know it won't do well?

I'd imagine a few people may move fully to just Nintendo if all the 3rd party stuff was going to come across properly rather than it being a cut done version.
A more powerful console only version would allow developers to easier port their titles across. With crossplay being more of a thing it could negate the need to buy that Sony or Microsoft console to play certain games with friends too.

You would lose nothing if they created it but gain a more powerful device so not sure why anyone would say they shouldn't in this scenario.

I'd still like to see Nintendo evolve the switch at some point. Not a huge overhaul, but include thunderbolt in the usb C spec and sell an enhanced pro dock that has a bit more gpu oomph to just get TV play running a bit better and keep up a bit more with the others. This would keep the portability at 720p as that's fine and allow developers to potentially up some settings for the TV. Also be nice to have things like higher resolution textures in a hard drive in the dock saving some space on the SD cards as your don't need them when on the go.

How do you know it won't do well?

I'd imagine a few people may move fully to just Nintendo if all the 3rd party stuff was going to come across properly rather than it being a cut done version.
A more powerful console only version would allow developers to easier port their titles across. With crossplay being more of a thing it could negate the need to buy that Sony or Microsoft console to play certain games with friends too.

You would lose nothing if they created it but gain a more powerful device so not sure why anyone would say they shouldn't in this scenario.
Because I work in the industry and part of my job is reviewing market potential for a product, and I can see why Nintendo haven't done it already. They've determined that focussing on strong 1st party IP and innovation is where they get their market share, and it's working for them.

What they would lose was what makes them unique - last time they tried doing that was the Gamecube and the sales figures show that didn't work.

I'd still like to see Nintendo evolve the switch at some point. Not a huge overhaul, but include thunderbolt in the usb C spec and sell an enhanced pro dock that has a bit more gpu oomph to just get TV play running a bit better and keep up a bit more with the others. This would keep the portability at 720p as that's fine and allow developers to potentially up some settings for the TV. Also be nice to have things like higher resolution textures in a hard drive in the dock saving some space on the SD cards as your don't need them when on the go.
This is the more likely approach, I agree.

Because I work in the industry and part of my job is reviewing market potential for a product, and I can see why Nintendo haven't done it already. They've determined that focussing on strong 1st party IP and innovation is where they get their market share, and it's working for them.

What they would lose was what makes them unique - last time they tried doing that was the Gamecube and the sales figures show that didn't work.
A strong first party IP would still sell well on the device. Its just a more powerful switch that's a console only version. The only thing lost is the handheld gaming side of it. The Switch now does both, the lite does the handheld only. I'd just like a more powerful console only version so that the games they do make can be even bigger and better.

TBH I wish they did a Vita TV style console only of the current switch and then pass those savings on in the RRP. I'd buy a second one thats for sure.

Sorry but you're ignoring my point about market position. Making it more powerful changes it's market position. You can't avoid that. And by doing that, you make it less desirable to people who enjoy Nintendo being different to Sony and MS. Thats the trade off.

Sorry but you're ignoring my point about market position. Making it more powerful changes it's market position. You can't avoid that. And by doing that, you make it less desirable to people who enjoy Nintendo being different to Sony and MS. Thats the trade off.

You've just agreed in a more powerful version via the dock.

That's what i'm wanting but just a console only version. I'd still be happy with a more powerful version if they did a Switch Pro so to speak. I'm talking purely what I would like to see. Others have said they'd be interested in similar too.

Like has been said Nintendo don't see themselves up against the other two and either do I. I want to see more power in the system to make the games even better than what they are now. Higher resolution, higher framerates, more detailed worlds with more going on. Things like that.

You've just agreed in a more powerful version via the dock.

That's what i'm wanting but just a console only version. I'd still be happy with a more powerful version if they did a Switch Pro so to speak. I'm talking purely what I would like to see. Others have said they'd be interested in similar too.

Like has been said Nintendo don't see themselves up against the other two and either do I. I want to see more power in the system to make the games even better than what they are now. Higher resolution, higher framerates, more detailed worlds with more going on. Things like that.
The downfall with a home console only is it ditches the USP and delivers an inferior experience on any cross platform titles. With the hybrid I'm willing to take the performance hit for the convenience, but if tied to the TV it's harder to sell over other consoles. I agree the switch is good enough in portable mode and held back as a TV machine because of it, unless the TV only one will unleash some more horsepower for developers or come in a fair bit cheaper, without the screen and battery it could save some build costs and ship with the charge grip or a pro controller.

The downfall with a home console only is it ditches the USP and delivers an inferior experience on any cross platform titles. With the hybrid I'm willing to take the performance hit for the convenience, but if tied to the TV it's harder to sell over other consoles. I agree the switch is good enough in portable mode and held back as a TV machine because of it, unless the TV only one will unleash some more horsepower for developers or come in a fair bit cheaper, without the screen and battery it could save some build costs and ship with the charge grip or a pro controller.
Yeah thats my thinking with a Vita TV style offering. I know that the handheld side is a big USP but not everyone is even interested in that who has bought one.
Yes, cross platform titles will be inferior to the PS5/XSX versions but I personally don't buy any Nintendo devices for third party games as I would mainly be gaming on PC or PS5 anyway, so i'm fine with them being inferior if it meant I got that Vita TV sized box (with the cost saving to boot).

Nintendo usually excel in the game play and character building. But I would like to see better graphics and smothering animation. If you have played a 4K game on big TV, you know it does make better gaming experience. How nice it will be if Zelda world can look in 4K with more details? Unlike smart phone which 4K doesn't make sense due to its small screen size, the bigger TV like 65" really makes a difference with 4K.

Yeah thats my thinking with a Vita TV style offering. I know that the handheld side is a big USP but not everyone is even interested in that who has bought one.
Yes, cross platform titles will be inferior to the PS5/XSX versions but I personally don't buy any Nintendo devices for third party games as I would mainly be gaming on PC or PS5 anyway, so i'm fine with them being inferior if it meant I got that Vita TV sized box (with the cost saving to boot).
Vita TV did so well 😂 I think Nintendo might be a bit better with one though. Sonys attempt was just ill thought out not quite working with all Vita games and making it a confusing mess that had little reason for you to buy one. At least Nintendo will offer a decent set of games on it. Part of me is wondering if something like the vita TV or a mini PS3/360 could come out if streaming here any traction.

Vita TV did so well 😂 I think Nintendo might be a bit better with one though. Sonys attempt was just ill thought out not quite working with all Vita games and making it a confusing mess that had little reason for you to buy one. At least Nintendo will offer a decent set of games on it. Part of me is wondering if something like the vita TV or a mini PS3/360 could come out if streaming here any traction.
Very True regarding the Vita TV 😂

Like you though i'd expect Nintendo do do a better job of it. I was mainly just using it as an example of what to expect as a box type of thing. I don't know how big the Nvidia Shield boxes are but perhaps something like that is what to expect in reality if they did make upgrades.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom