1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will the Xbox 360 be able to play .ts files??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tim k, Aug 30, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im curious because if it can, i think this would be quite a cool alternative to the htpc. it has dd5.1 i know wmvhd will work but theres ltd films in that format.

another idea is to encode a .ts file in wmvhd, is that possible and what kind of quality loss will you get??

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think it is too early to tell... Until we see how the Media Center Extender functionality is integrated, we probably won't get a definitive answer. However as .ts and DVR-MS files are both based around MPEG2 video, someone may well come up with a transcoder/remuxer type application that will convert one to the other without altering the video quality.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    no

Its too early to say for definite, but it will basically behave like a media center extender. That means that it will only play those core codecs that come with MCE as standard.

Yes you can update the codecs on your PC, but the extender won't play them.

I'm expecting X360 to only play standard MCE content from an MCE device. Unfortunately it also looks like it won't stream any video from an XP machine - just photos/music.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Surely you don't mean it will have poorer functionality than the XBox Media Center Extender already on-sale? That plays MCE recorded video, and allows live TV viewing AIUI, if they don't provide this on the XBox 360 that will be a huge backwards step.

I was under the impression that the XBox 360 improved on the XBox + XBox Media Center Extender kit, as it would also cope with HD as well as SD?

5. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It does the same as Xbox Media Center Extender, but you have to have windows xp MCE not jus standard xp

6. intraclast

intraclast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as i understand it the 360 will work with the Windows media center connect service which is currently in beta and runs on an XP PC so you dont need to have the Media Center version of windows. The connect service is going to be released later this year and apparently will be free.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050816_174728.html

7. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah thats not really what im asking. i understand the mce capabilities.

i want to know if like the 360 will play a regular .vob dvd file will it play a .ts straight from the disk?? i suppose theres going to be someone out there that will mod the 360 that may make this possible. the only reason being the 360 is more powerful than any pc on the market, and therefore would play .ts files (in theory) with ease. making it a great hdtv portable solution.

8. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    .ts to wmv-hd is possible - keeping the 1080 resolution and 5.1 audio the encode was estimated at 5 days on my P4 2.4GHz so I never finished it but it can be done.

9. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201

Are you sure about that given it's going to cost less than top of the line graphics cards?

10. kRAyZZed

kRAyZZed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where have you been? - Firstly i would like to point out that 99% of pc components are grossly overpriced and a huge profit is made from the manufacturing to retail stage, Secondly look on one of the millions out sites out there atm that has the specs of the xbox360...

Unless of course you happen to have a pc with 3x 3.2ghz cores?

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    MCE will play VIDEO_TS folders over the network - though I don't know if the XBox 360 will.

Probably less likely that it will play a .ts file, as MCE doesn't use .ts, it uses DVR-MS instead, though it may be possible to quickly transcode one to the other (without recoding the video)?

There is no question that the hardware capabilities of the XBox 360 are up to real time HD .ts playback (as both .ts and DVR-MS are similar MPEG2 streams) - it is just a software issue. Of course if people manage to get 3rd party software (like XBox Media Center) running on the 360 this may be implemented by them - though I suspect it will take a while to hack?

12. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think im correct in saying the original xbox was hacked in a matter of days after release. and i really hope the 360 can be creacked to enable .ts playback. this will be a great solution for hd movie playback in any room i wish to place a 360 and also if my friends have 360s (inc the old man) i can send down a few .ts discs. heres hoping! only 3 months to wait

13. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Busy watching stuff. Logically it seems like a bit of a push though, the original Xbox was meant to be more powerful than PC's at the time but couldn't run a full version of Championship Manager and the amount of RAM was too low to run some MAME games, I won't even mention the PS2 emotion engine hype. The numbers are supposed to sound impressive.

I really hope it is that powerful, it would save me having to upgrade my PC as everything could be streamed to it.