Will the Toshiba RD-XS32 play DVD+R??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mdawkins, Dec 24, 2004.

1. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having difficulties choosing between the Toshiba RD-XS32, Panasonic E85 or Pioneer 420, but am not sure whether to go for the Toshiba as it does not support DVD+R and I have got quite a few DVD-R and +R so would like a recorder that supports playing both formats, can someone please confirm if the Toshiba does or doesn't play DVD+R.

Thanks

Martin.

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It does and it doesn't. Some DVD+Rs will play, others will not. It all depends on the disc make/brand, the authoring software and burning ROM used.

Have you thought about using a programme such as DVD Decrypter to extract you DVD+Rs onto your PC HDD and then re-burning to DVD-R? You could do it as part of your routine backup plan. It would seem a shame to miss out on the advantages of the Toshiba just because it doesn't play one particular format - especially as it's considerably better than the Pioneer and offers numerous features not found on the Panasonic range.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I've found that almost all DVD+Rs will play if the DVD has been finalised. I've been using Maxell and TDK brands.

4. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What authoring software/DVD burning software are you using? What DVD burner? It might help potential Toshiba users as there have been quite a few 'problems' encoutered with playing DVD+Rs on the Toshiba.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    As a matter of interest what are these features missing on the Panasonic?

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's not 'missing' features - it's just the Toshiba has been implemented in a different way. The Panasonic focuses on ease of use and high quality - and achieves both well. The Toshiba focuses on control of recording and thus has features which would make the Panny too 'complicated' such as GOP control and bitrate settings.