1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Toshiba 32RDXs32 do all this?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Calpolaholic, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Calpolaholic

Calpolaholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hi

sorry for posting another beginner thread but I have trawled all the posts and can't find exact answers to the questions I have arising in connection with buying a DVD recorder.

My setup
    Panasonic Plasma model year 5
    NTL digital cable via PACE 4100 STB
    JS Tech RGB-VGA
    Toshiba SD220 component out
    Yamaha rvx630 reciever

Basically I want to know the following

1. Can I record one channel and still watch another. Example - record "Trinny and Susannah - What not to wear" on BBC1 for the Mrs and watch the Footie on Sky sports etc. If so how? I can feed a fairly good UHF signal into either the PACE or the Tosh if this helps.

2. Can the recorder control the STB. I think I have picked up that it has a transmitter that works with Sky but NTL???

3. Can I pass through RGB into the recorder and out via component to the Plasma and make my js tech box redundant.

4. Will I wonder how I ever lived without a DVD recorder? Or am I just indulging my love for gadgets. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1. not unless you're NTL box records (sorry I am a Sky+ user so don't know the NTL box names). It only has one tuner. You can watch something else recorded on its HDD or on DVD while it is recording, but not 2 current programmes, unless you use the RGB passthru in which case you can record on the built in tuner and watch on your NTL passthru.
    2. probably (almost defintely, its only Sky+ that no-ones got it working so far)
    3. yes, but it will have to be switched on, not on standby. The RGB passthru on standby is on scart not component.
    4. You NEED one, and frankly have been wasting your time thinking about it, go shopping!! :)

Cheers, NS

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can do 1) as long as 1 programme is on terrestrial, or if a freeview if your TV has an integrated DVB.

If you want to watch a programme on sky whilst recording another you need sky+

You can also record anything on the Tosh whilst watching something recorded onto the HDD or via dvd

without sky+ you will find timeslip a revelation.

However, if I had to choose between sky+ and my Tosh it wouldn't even come close.