1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Philips 37PF9986 be compatible with sky hi-def?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by damo_in_sale, Mar 5, 2005.

1. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Hi chaps, my first post...

I've had a nightmare trying to get my hands on the Sharp LC37GA3E and, after ordering it from Empire Direct for the brilliant price of £1991.81, I was gutted when I later contacted them and they said it was 'discontinued' and I couldn't have one :thumbsdow

I am now considering the Philips 37PF9986 because theres more around and it seems to be the second best choice in that price range. My main concern is that my £2500 investment will work great with Sky HD when it comes out (I believe that the Sharp definately is). I believe the critea is that the set must be compatible with HDCP via DVI/HDMI and that both 720P 50Hz and 1080i 25 Hz/50 fields per second is supported.

I'm getting very frustrated at the moment as this whole issue seems to be a mindfield. Advice :lease:

Thanks,

Damo

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It will be OK but if the broadcast is in 720p (as the majority will be) and the STB cannot convert 720p to 1080i (there is no information whether this will be possible or not) then you will only get a bordered image - the difference between 1366x768 and 1280x720.

-Ian

3. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Cheers ianh64,

So you think it can do 1080i and 720p at 50 Hz?
    And is there definately no way you can get 720p to scale full screen, as on the Sharp?
    I hope I'm making a good choice going for the Philips as my second option. Anybody got any opinions?
    On another note, I am a little concerned that the component input is just an adapter to the DVI socket- this means that when I get Sky HD I will have to hook up the tv and DVD player via RGB Scart I guess- not real happy about that.

Damo

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It can do both 720p and 1080i at 50Hz.

Jimmy

5. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Cheers Jimmy,

I've read on the Philips website that there is an optional '5 in one connection cable'. Does anybody know what this is?

Damo

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its an afterthought :D

7. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Seriously though, does anybody know what this is? The Philips web site is useless.

Damo

8. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's what I'm thinking of (there's a picture in the manual that comes with the PF9986) it looks like all the cables that normally come with the product, but wrapped up together with a cable tie.

Personally I can't see the point, but perhaps the cables are better quality (it doesn't say that anywhere I've seen though)

Car man

9. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Cheers car man. I wonder if this will allow you to connect a component feed at the same time as DVI. Any ideas?

Damo

10. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 5 in 1 cable, judging by the picture with the manual isn't anything particularly great. It seems to comprise 2 Scarts (which look basic quality), an audio cable, RF aerial lead and a mains lead - all wrapped in a plastic cable tidy. Honestly you could do better with a home made one. And no, it wouldn't allow component at the same time as DVI - they both have to use the same DVI socket. DVI-DVI is the way to go.
    Regarding HiDef - the Philips can cope with 720p and 1080i, but no-one is 100% certain exactly what Sky are going to provide. There is no way of getting the 720p picture to fll the Philips screen - this is because it offers an "unscaled" image of 1280x720 pixels. The only way the Sharp (and Loewe) manage it is to upscale the picture. So the Philips gives you the correct definition, but it means a border.