Will the Panasonic DMP-UB900 be an overkill?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sony65, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, Recently purchased a Sony KD65XE9305 and -so far- very pleased. Am now looking for a decent Blu-Ray 4K UHD player and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 has caught my eye. However, notice that this player has many bells and whistles not to mention Netflix etc.. As my TV also has Netflix connectively built in wondered if the Pano features will be wasted on me. All I need really is a good 4k UHD Blu-Ray player. I also have the Panasonic DMR-EX97 Recorder which is a great machine and thought that the DMP-UB900 would be a good combination so all bases are covered but this obviously doesn't play 4K BR discs. Help please...:thumbsup:

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    Panasonic UB700 is a good alternative, does most of what the UB900 does. Panasonic UB300 or UB400 are cheaper alternatives but seem to have a few more problems noted by some here.

Sony X800 has much to offer as well but does seem to have a bit more playback issues mentioned here than the Panasonic UB700/UB900.

The LG player is the only cheap one to offer Dolby Vision capability (whenever it's gets a long awaited firmware update to support this) but has a lot of comments here re noisy playback.

Netflix etc is provided by most 4K players apart from the Oppos and their clone so it's not something you can save money on by skipping. More the opposite as the Netflix free models cost way more.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for your reply. I have read several Reviews on both models and overall it seems the UB900 is worth the extra £. As I don't change my stuff that often the UB900 is still top of my list. At the moment the cheapest price is £369 from the usual suspects Currys, Argos etc.. but going to wait until Black Friday and see whether price drops a bit. Good idea? :thumbsup:

4. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    Yes, best to wait a few weeks and see what the sales bring.
    If the reviews you read were in What HiFi ignore them. Better to see the review summaries and individual reviews here 2017 4K UHD Blu-ray Player Best Buy Comparison

5. RobinDB

RobinDB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    From what I have read the 700 & 900 share the same electronics and the only benefit of the 900 is you need the dedicated audio outputs.

In the end I went for the 700 earlier in year, very pleased with it.
    Only small disappointment is that it does not support HD audio over network playback,

6. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Seen the 700 for £239 at a local retailer near me and the 900 is still £369 wonder if it's worth waiting for Black Friday or biting the bullet and going for the 700 which seems great value?

7. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    Bird in the hand scenario.
    I'd go for the 700, the 900 offers little more unless you want the shiny feet (or will make use of the analogue outs).
    If local try and get them to throw in a free 4K capable HDMI lead (the 900 comes with one in the box, the 700 doesn't).

But if you do buy now you can be sure the 900 will appear in a sale and the 700 will also be available cheaper than you bought it at. And if you don't buy now neither of them will appear in any deals at all plus the local one will shoot up in price. :)

8. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep agree with all above. Can't see the 700 dropping below £239 as most places are advertising same unit for £279 so even Black Friday deals will probably not see the price down to £239. Will contact shop and see how I get on. Let you know later how I did.

9. johnny1977

johnny1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sony UBP-X800 is a better player at lower price. The functionality is also far above the Panasonic. Why not to use the same brand for a blu-ray spinner?

10. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well thought would stick with Panasonic as I have their DMR-EX97 Recorder so seems a logical match. Not sure how much the Sony is but think the Pano 700 represents good value at £239 based on what I have read about its performance.

11. johnny1977

johnny1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was actually talking about Panasonic 900. The 700 is really cheaper. If you are not planning HDD or network playback, then Panasonic is fine.

12. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes pretty much all use will be Blu-Ray/DVD playback and nothing else. No doubt could get cheaper machine to do same job but for £239 it wont break the bank..

13. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK. Have now bought the Pano 700 and am trying to hook up to my Sony TV/Sony soundbar and have connected the player into the back of SB the same as the recorder setup via HDMI cable. However when I use either remote eg for Player or Recorder they both respond!!! It's driving me mad so can anyone help me isolate each device so that their own remote works and not the other??

Many thanks in advance.

14. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    You can change the code for either player.
    For UB700 this is within the System menu
    Remote Control
    Change the remote control code if other Panasonic products react to this remote control.

Page 34 of the user manual

15. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks have now changed Player to Code 2 and all is well. Now call me a cynic but have played a few minutes of the Ghostbusters 4k UHD DVD that came with the player and it doesn't really look any better than normal DVD quality!! Should the player automatically play in UHD or do I need to change settings to enhance picture quality? Lastly black bands head and foot on playback but I a unable to widen screen as with normal DVD playback is this correct? Thanks again everyone.....

16. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    You may need to enable deep colour on your TV and/or check you have connected the player into a HDCP 2 port.

Check what your HDMI is outputting from the UB700. Press option when playing back a UHD and scroll down and select Playback information window.
    The bottom two bits of info on the popup window that this will show are HDMI (main) audio and video. HDMI (audio) soundtrack. You should see HDR BT.2020 if it is outputting HDR.

You can't change screen aspect ratio (make skinny picture full screen) with Panasonic players and if you did with the Ghostbusters UHD you would loose the effects where stuff comes out from the picture into the black bands. You will have to change aspect ratio on your TV but not all TVs can do this with UHD.

Ghostbusters 2016 UHD is one of the better looking UHDs. If you can't tell the difference between that and a DVD, unfortunately UHD may not be for you (or you are sitting too far away from your TV to see any improvement).

17. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, Thanks for your informative reply. I have checked and am certainly receiving video in HDR so I think it's set up correctly. Now as for Deep Colour notice that you can either select Automatic or Off through the player and have tried both and didn't notice much difference between them. Should I try changing my TV settings in some way do you think? Perhaps I am being a little harsh as no doubt normal DVD quality is no doubt inferior to UHD to the standard viewer. Probably more likely -in my case- is there's less difference between HD TV and UHD Video quality.

18. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    You will have to check your TV manual for that.
    It was your TV Deep Colour setting I was referring to (not the UB700 which can be left at auto). On my LG TV the HDMI port has to be set to UHD Deep Colour: on to get HDR to work (its default mode is off). Your Sony may call it something else.

But if the UB700 is showing it's outputting HDR and your TV shows it is getting HDR all is probably OK on that front.

19. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry to raise this again but just noticed something. Have just bought a Blu-Ray disc and when playing it I checked the details thru the Playback Information Window and the HDMI VIDEO shows as: 4K/24P SDR/BT.709 YCbCr4:4:4/12bit TrueHD. Is this correct for normal Blu-Ray playback?
    Thanks....

20. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,721
    Yes

21. Sony65

Sony65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Doug just one last thing what should my TV's VIDEO mode be on Auto or one of the other choices eg. HDR10, OFF etc....?