Will the oppo105 make a differnce with the Marantz sr7008 over HDMI versus the 103?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ATrain, Feb 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ATrain

ATrain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am ordering the Sr7008 and would like to get an Oppo player. I am new to higher end audio but really enjoy it. I have Martin Logan Esl setup and can run great cables. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-53 and Panny BDT320 bluray, ps3,xbox 1, xbox360, ps4. I am also thinking of adding in a good turntable and experiencing vinyl, any ideas and what would be the best way to hook it up?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    The audio the receiver gets via HDMI will be exactly the same audio from both the 105 and the 103. In fact it will be no better than you'd get from any Blu-ray player.

3. ATrain

ATrain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would it be better if i ran analog out from the 103/105 to the marantz in pure direct mode

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    You may get better audio via the 105 if using its superior DACs and this is basically why the 105 player costs more than the 103. After saying this, it is only better if you prefer the sound that results from using the DACs onboard the player when compared to the DACs onboard your receiver? I personally dislike the rather clinical sound associated with the Sabre DACs used on the 105 player. Even so, the differences are not huge and I'd simply buy the cheaper player rather than have all the hassle associated with using analogue multichannel connections.

PURE DIRECT? The pure direct output of the player relates to the video and not the audio.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. ATrain

ATrain
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good informations, thanks. On the pure direct i was refering to the reciever, after reading i am under the impression that if not in this mode for analogue the reciever would convert the signal back to analogue to digital for the room correction and them back to analogue again effecting the sound

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    PURE DIRECT would effectively bypass all DSP and circuitry not strictly required to output the audio.