Will the Lib Dems wake up? Before it's too late?

overkill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst some here support the coalition, it must be open to question how much either side is committed to it in the next couple of years. Whilst Cammy and cleggy still appear the best of chums, the coming by-election has revealed that there are people in both parties gearing up for an ugly fall out.

It's interesting in that the Lib Dems cabinet ministers still don't seem to be getting it. Does Clegg think the flak he's getting over Huhne and Rennard just 'happened'? The way these issues have been presented and when, smacks of good old fashioned Tory (read Labour when they were in power) stirring.

Clegg though, looks like a deer in the headlights, he really doesn't appear to understand 'why him'. With the latest incident, he looks like he's lied, and as such done no end of harm to the Lib Dems by-election chances. He's blustered that this is indeed the case, and 'forces' are 'out to get the Lib Dems', but hasn't pointed the finger, afraid as he is of the Tories calling time on his pointless role as a Tory buttress.

The problem for him is, is that the Tories aren't pulling any punches. They don't need to be obvious, they just let the media do it for them, as ever, while they subtly undermine their coalition partners.

Cameron, in his defence, has made it clear - he wants a Tory govt, not another coalition.

It's time Clegg took that message onboard, or UKIP really will be the third party, not something I hope anyone wants.

I agree. It doesn't need any Tory contribution to pull the LibDems down, they are quite happily doing it themselves. Just let them get on with it.

Are Labour taking note? Any future alliance with the LibDems could be in jeopardy thanks to the self-harm and treading-on-their-own-feet antics by the LibDems.

or UKIP really will be the third party, not something I hope anyone wants.

I suppose that is true :D

I never thought about the revival of these allegations might be related to the by-election, but it would be quiet a easy leak to draw a negative view of the LDs. Of Course every problem is an opportunity, Nick when faced with problems doesn't seem to be able to deal with them though.

He (and I guess his party) were very good when not in power, but when issues are pushed on them they not so great at dealing with them.

I voted LD last time, but I'm glad they didn't become the dominant power, and my politics has changed a fair bit since then, pity there isn't anyone out there that represents my views.

I agree. It doesn't need any Tory contribution to pull the LibDems down, they are quite happily doing it themselves. Just let them get on with it.

Are Labour taking note? Any future alliance with the LibDems could be in jeopardy thanks to the self-harm and treading-on-their-own-feet antics by the LibDems.

Exactly. They seem bent on self destruction. Looking in from the outside, my brother, who lives in Ireland, said the Irish press think they are hilarious coalition partners. One commented the only way to save themselves is to implode the coalition over one of the Tories controversial policies before 2015.

But that's not going to happen.

Don't forget that the Lib Dems are at least two parties in one- this isn't unusual in UK politics but it is condensed into a smaller number of MP's. Clegg, Alexander, Davey and the lurking presence of David Laws are Orange Bookers and ideologically have more in common with Tories like David Cameron than they do someone like Simon Jenkins who is notionally in their own party. This disconnect is at the core of the current issue.

overkill said:
It's time Clegg took that message onboard, or UKIP really will be the third party, not something I hope anyone wants.

The more the merrier. One day we might move away entirely from this style of big party representation. This might well be the start of something new. UKIP have come from behind, with very little media exposure. They have caught the public mood correctly because they have realised something other parties are just becoming aware of and that's the power of the Internet. People don't have to believe what they spout, they can quickly check for themselves and make a decision. The more active are taking to repetitions and blogging. It is bypassing traditional media completely. UKIP have made a mistake. They believe they have made Cameron do a U turn on Europe, however they were only part of the jigsaw, the rest was successful online campaigning. Politicians better wise up to what's happening if they want to continue in their role. Just like Internet sales are making high street shops redundant, physical libraries redundant and changing many other areas of our lives it will surely make its mark on politicians and has already begun to.

Interesting how this has translated to 25% of the recent vote in Italy going to a blogger. What's more he also is pushing for an EU referendum.

Meanwhile Clegg's looking shaky over recent incidents. His statement sounds increasingly like that of Clinton. It might well be a career ender.

Last edited:
All this would be a handy excuse for Clegg to blame them loosing the by-election on. I don't think average voters really care about some fat lord, but he can probably convince his party this + Hune were the reason for a massively reduced majority or even extinction in this seat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom