Will the LG CX65 'do the job' for gaming - going from Plasma to OLED?

rsian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Current TV: 8 year old Viera 55 GT/ST (forget which), plasma (I went through the green blob issues!)
Current Usage: weekend all day viewing, weekday evening viewing
Console: PS3, used sparingly during same time frames as above

I'm keen on upgrading to some new tech and had purchased a PS5, but sold it on when I found out:
1. The above TV wouldn't do the PS5 justice
2. Cyberpunk 2077 got some shocking reviews
3. Skate 4 is further away from release than expected

So, I need to get a new TV before a console.

I have read all about the 'issues' with current OLEDs and gaming, and although part of the reason I am upgrading is for gaming, I would not consider myself a heavy gamer by any means, and having run a PS3 on a plasma the last couple of years, my expectations are likely to be modest compared to someone very heavily into gaming.
Majority of the TV use will be for evening viewing - Netflix, Amazon Prime etc...and I'm happy with the TV specs for watching.
I am by no means a connoisseur when it comes to picture image, and generally once set up as best as possible, I am unlikely to change any settings (although I perhaps would like to make more of an effort in this department).

Q. Based on the above, would this be a good replacement for my needs?

As mentioned in another thread, £1,750 is about my budget and I can currently get this for about £1,674 so unless the expectation is for prices to drop, I could pull the trigger now while I can the deal I can.

Thanks Dodgexander, I looked at that and may still opt for that model, but am happy to go to top of my budget if it is more likely to give me additional future proofing for the next 7 or so years?

Things the CX does better than the BX:
Roughly 20% brighter - Good for HDR
4x HDMI 2.1 instead of 2x HDMI 2.1 / 2x HDMI 2.0 - Slightly more future proof.
Better handling of colour gradients and better upscaling - Doubt this is a noticeable factor, but its there.

The CX is the best gaming display on the market so probably yes.

Argh, ok...logged on to John Lewis night before last to buy the 65CX, and wasn't available anymore!
Logged on to Currys yesterday to buy from them, and theirs had sold out also!!!
Those were the two sores I could get my discount from.
With that in mind I was about to buy the 65BX from JL, and thought I would do one more search on it.
Now, I am happy with the TV specs, and although gaming won;t be my primary use, I would like it to perform well.
I watched a video on LG claiming their VRR will have issues with below 120hz.
To be perfectly honest, I do not know what this means exactly or what type of impact it would have or how the issues would present themselves - is this something I should be concerned about?
The types of games I would be playing are Cyberpunk 2077, and games in the style of Far Cry, Last Of Us/immersive games...and Skate 4 when it comes out.
Any final advice appreciated!

To be perfectly honest, I do not know what this means exactly or what type of impact it would have or how the issues would present themselves - is this something I should be concerned about?
Which video?
If its what I think it is Its explained in the opening post of my guide here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

It's something to affects all TVs with VRR technology and can't be avoided right now, hopefully in the future there will be a fix, but it may be a case of buying another TV for it to work correctly.

What does it mean? You may not notice it, its will mean when VRR is used gamma will shift up and down in scenes where the frame rate is variable. It can be avoided by not using VRR at all, and you may end up not using VRR anyway if the games you play do not support it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom