1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Kef Q5 match my system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by steve-king, Jul 19, 2004.

1. steve-king

steve-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have an old but well loved system - Arcam Delta 880 CD, Dual 505/2 turntable (with MP11 Boron cart), Technics 210 DVD and Ruark Broadsword II speakers. Most of this kit is 10-15 years old.

The speakers have given good service, but my dear son has just poked one tweeter right out. They will be expensive to fix, so I am wondering about replacements.

The Kef Q5 will pass the 'wife test' very well, and has had good reviews. Any thoughts on how it will work with my other gear? Any other suggestions?

Music is mainly folk, rock and AOR. As an example this weekend it was Dido, Pink Floyd, Oyster Band, Richard Thompson, Lighthouse Family, Levellers, REM and a friend's punk band (www.stunned-bunnies.tk).

All help much appreciated.

2. Breitling

Breitling
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I have been using KEF speakers for years currently own a set of Reference 203's, i think the Q5 would suit you well also consider the Q7's to :)

hope this helps

3. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've got a pair of Q7's and I love them, auditioned the Q5's at the same time as the Q7's and liked them too, though the Q7's were just that bit better( to my ears, anyway). I'm sure you'll love the Q5's - but audition them first!! :thumbsup:

4. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    The Q7's are a definate step up from the Q5's (same demo as dishdoc) but I think they need a bit of room around them to get them at their best.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  6. steve-king

steve-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again all,

Many thanks for the replies. The Q7 looks wonderful, but beyond my means (kids are expensive in so many ways, not just by busting speakers.....). Even a pair of Q5s will have to be secondhand.

Can anyone tell me how long the Q5 has been made for? I have seen one or two on eBay, and I will start checking the sales forum here now I know about it.

Is there anywhere else you can recommend that I look?