Will the iPad be a handy tool for photographers?

robfosters

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Someones bound to make a more powerful app for editing and it is so light and mobile, just wondering if the 64GB version would be a viable alternative to a laptop.

not really, its only slightly smaller than some netbooks yet doesnt have anything like the processing power.

again, not really.

it has no card reader and... no usb :confused::confused::confused:

it also costs £400+ for the 64GB version.

why would you limit yourself to something like that when you can buy a netbook that actually has standard ports and a keyboard for £250, netbooks are also powerful enough to run photoshop and windows or OSX if you really want to.

It's a giant iphone without any telephone function. Can't see myself buying one.

I see that Apple have "invented" the tablet PC.....yawn....

It's a real mongrel and I can't see a use for it which isn't done better by other tools. As already said - it's a fat iphone that can't phone. It's an iTouch that you can't put in your pocket. It's a netbook you can't type on. It's an ereader with backlight and a terrible battery life.

Why it's running the iPhone OS I have no idea, and I honestly can't see what it's actually any good for.

Definitely no good for photo editing or manipulating due to the shonky CPU, and far too expensive to justify itself as an interactive photo frame.

before teh announcement i thought if it could run aperture and came with an optional stylus for exact work it would have been very useful..

now,as others have said...it's not really much use

No multi-tasking......:suicide:

Yeah. Which for a device designed specifically for online activity is beyond crazy. It essentially means you can't run a browser, music player and instant messenger at the same time. Windows could do that 15 years ago - there's really no excuse.

Last edited:
Even if it ran aperture and had a stylus I think it'd be painful.

I tried editing some 15mp raw files one my old Athlon XP 3200 last night and I got fedup of waiting for it to catch up.

I have to admit, it would be a nice way of showing off some wedding/portrait shots to some clients etc. As far as editing or whether the iPad would improve workflow etc, I can't see many benefits.

I have to admit, it would be a nice way of showing off some wedding/portrait shots to some clients etc.

Except it's only a 9.7" display at 1024x768, so regardless of how 'nice' the pad itself may look, a similarly priced laptop still blows it out of the water for looking at images.

With USB or a card reader, raw convertor & 'Photoshop lite' + a video inout or remote camera control (with live view) it could have been an excelent photog toy.

As it stands its almost utterly useless. You can get pics onto it with an addon device I think but even then it'll be crap.

it should have been running on proper Mac OS X rather than the watered down iphone version.

I have read in a different forum, some thinking about it as a portfolio tool :D.

Only use I can see for it (other than a portable digital portfolio), is to transfer your images from camera on the go. But even then, a netbook would be cheaper.. :rolleyes:

With USB or a card reader, raw convertor & 'Photoshop lite' + a video inout or remote camera control (with live view) it could have been an excelent photog toy.

As it stands its almost utterly useless. You can get pics onto it with an addon device I think but even then it'll be crap.

The dock connector could allow all of the functionality you mention. I can see no reason why an app couldn't be developed

It's already possible with an iPhone or iPod touch if the camera is tethered, so I can think of no reason why a device with more processing power wouldn't be able to do it directly.

Might be useful to have a large screen for live view in the field.

I would rather buy a Archos 9 PCTablet then the iPad...

If you can see past the poor battery life, lack of connectivity, ugly design, and the bucket of spanners operating system designed for a desktop machine. You're probably right.

My guess is that while the iPad is far from perfect, it'll out sell the archos by a factor of 50 to 1.

Yeah. Which for a device designed specifically for online activity is beyond crazy. It essentially means you can't run a browser, music player and instant messenger at the same time. Windows could do that 15 years ago - there's really no excuse.

It's a popular misconception that you can't multitask on the iPhone OS.

You can browse and listen to music in the background. You can actually do most things while listening to music in the background. Infact most of the defaul applications (Safari, SMS, iPod) allow multitasking as you can switch between them via the homescreen seamlessly without losing anything and allowing them to complete their tasks. Which ultimately is multitasking.

What you can't do is run more then one of the market place apps simultaneously. However, they can run in the background with limited functionality, with user interaction through alerts. Which again is multitasking.

Despite this implimentation often being cited as a negative of the OS, I think it actually depends on your perspective and requirements.

Having used an iPhone for 2 years, WM previously and Android (2.1 on Nexus 1) now, I can definately see the advantages of the Apple implimentation. On a device with limited battery capacity, processor, memory and input mechanisms, such tight control over running processes is often a positive. Do I want to be concerned with ensuring there aren't erroneous apps/process running in the background on my phone when I'm away from a charger all day? IMO the answer is no.

I could run my iPhone for weeks with consistant performance and battery life. And thats with daily installation of Apps. I am yet to find another smartphone that I can do that with. Even the N1 slows down and requires a reboot sometimes. Battery drain is also inconsistant sometimes (sometimes task killer solves this, sometimes its the cause of the problem, so a reboot is usually the best way to rectify it).

There's a whole segment of the market who either can't, or don't want to deal with such issues. They are often derided for simply stating "the iPhone just works" or "its easy to use". As an embedded and software designer I can tell you, achieving that is easier said then done. And its only because of that achievement that people like my girlfriend have been tempted into the smartphone market.

I think much of these positives carry over to the iPad. If its a secondary device to watch video's, surf, look at pictures, read, do I want windows running on it? Given the size of the screen and restrictive input method I would say probably not. I would say I probably value simplicity, ease of use, cost and battery power over full fledged OS.

Having switched to the N1 I can honestly only think of 1 instance where I value multitasking, and thats running IM. Even then it wasn't a major issue with background alerts as I don't use IM the same way on the move as I do at home. The biggest plus for me is the higher res screen. Even the processor comes a distant second.

I would probably buy the iPad as a secondary surfing device at home. But this brings me to its majpr downfall IMO, the lack of flash. Apple need to settle their spat with Adobe, because while they can get away with it on a mobile, they certainly can't with the iPad. In terms of multitasking, apps, the only one would be always on IM client.

Oooops, in answer to the OP's question. It would be a good photo viewer. But not editor due to low res screen and limited input methods. But really thats not what is designed to be IMO.

However, they can run in the background with limited functionality, with user interaction through alerts. Which again is multitasking.

No they dont. Core OS apps can multitask, store apps cant and are serialised when not run, they can get push notifications but the app themselves arnt running in any real sense of the word.

Not sure why apple refuse to allow multitasking from app store apps but many decisions on apples devices are purely for business not technological. no card slot, locked to appstore etc.

Having developed and sold apps for the iPhone its an utter pain in the arse, all to get apple their 30%.

As far as i'm concerened just another piece of over-priced, under-speced style over substance piece of junk for the gullible look at me i've got a shiny pretty apple thing so i must be cool and trendy brigade.

We were discussing this in the office this morning and I nearly spat my coffee over my monitor when a colleague referred to it as "The Maxipad" :D

Jim

As far as i'm concerened just another piece of over-priced, under-speced style over substance piece of junk for the gullible look at me i've got a shiny pretty apple thing so i must be cool and trendy brigade.

Damn - it must be hard being you.

BTW your flickr link is broken.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom