Will the current DLP price structure collapse?

W

Wolvreen

Are we about to see the collapse of the current DLP price structure? With the 3 chippers replacing the current crop of high end colour wheel pj's - 8K price point.

With the imminent arrival of the Qualia things may just be getting stirred up, thoughts?

they would need to else I wont be buying one for a long time!

ad

What's needed is some real competition in the market. TI have it all their own way at the moment with DLP as there are no alternatives. Intel have stated that they will enter the fray with LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon, I think) which is a reflective technology and should compare well with DLP.

Intel have (bravely) stated that they expect to bring about a 50% drop in projector prices. If the competition is as fierce as it is between Intel-AMD and ATI-nVidia then prices really could tumble. Intel certainly have the ability to mass produce these chips at a competitive price point.

Let's hope so anyway.

Cheers, Beastie.

With the 3 chippers replacing the current crop of high end colour wheel pj's - 8K price point.

I think he meant 8k as the price point of high end colour wheel pjs. :)

I think we all hope that prices do drop as upgrading is quite an expensive hobby.

As pjs become more affordable and more acceptable in the home (or vice versa), I'm sure the price will drop - just as it did with PCs.

I'm sure an Intel/TI price war will work just as well as the Intel/AMD price war has.

At least, that's the theory. :)

Gary.

I'd like to wager (with anyone who'd like to take the bet:D ) that a three chip projector (or equivalent technology) will be available, within two years, or less, at the £8k mark.

Several market drivers will have an impact, namely increased competition, greater "pull through" or demand from the market place, and increased market expectations. Laws of supply and demand basically.

These will be fueled, and abetted, by the engineering and production guys who will make them better, faster and cheaper.

Economies of scale will come into play, and the market will reach the point of "critical mass" where full productionisation of the, at present, inefficient assembly methods, will facilitate mass production of the key machine elements.

The same thing as has happened with :

1) Plasmas - I remember seeing my first Plasma in the States priced at circa £14k or something - now an entry model is £2k and a "Cutting edge" model nearer £4k.

2) LCD Projectors - I remember buying my first LCD PJ for my business, for presentations in the Board room, - it was a Sanyo PLV something or other, and I remember that it was deemed good value at £8k - within 18 months PJ's offering better performance were available at less than £2k

3) Memory Stick's (Sony) - I rememebr being on a trade stand where Sony had just proudly unveiled the 1GB memory stick - at a suggested MRP of £1500 - I've just bught one from the States for £185.

So today's niche market of 3 chip PJ's at £25k will be 2006's mass market (well, relativley) products at £ 7-8K

:thumbsup:

Cant see prices settling down till we have true 1080p projectors in the home, and i cant see these being deliverd without a huge premium to pay, after that will there realy be a need to push any further? So maybe then prices will begin to tapper off or the feature list will have to increase some to warrant the present price structure.

Problem is front projection is still a smallish market.

It would be very hard to justify £25000 for a 3 chipper at present, when i could buy a brand new M3 for the same cost, yet 1 is made mostly off plastic. Come to think of it how do they justify the RRP over its production cost? Is it all R&D

Gandley,

True 1080p PJ's will be available later this year, including the Sharp 20000 unit.

Prices on three chippers will be high due to extremely small production batch quantities and possibly some yield issues.

As the technology is improved, yields will increase and manufacturing time wil reduce exponentially. The scary thing is that at the £25k mark (street price - not factory gates price) the actual manufacturer is probably only making a very small, if any, profit.

The next generation of chips and technologies HD2K, LCOS, Qualia, etc etc. will create additional competition, and as we all know, "necessity is the mother of invention" - so manufacturers will find new and better ways to build their machines at ever more competitive pricing.

I don't undersatnd how they price these things so high anyway.
A 36" widescreen TV manufactured in the far east, weighs up to 70kgs or more, packaged in a box you could fit an elephant in and then shipped half way round the planet and sold to me for appoximately £1500.
A projector weighs next to nothing, virtually fits in a shoe box sized package, shipped half way round the planet and sold to me for £3000-£8000. I can't believe technology alone is worth up to £5000 more than a bloody great CRT TV. Surely the savings on shipping costs alone by importing projectors compared to CRTs would mean they end up roughly the same price as a CRTs straight away?

I don't undersatnd how they price these things so high anyway.

Market economics and competition - the price of these products is set according to what the market will bear and in relation to similar products from competitors - it's not an accident that there are now quite a range of LCD projectors at the £1000 - £2000 mark, it has less to do with the cost of production or shiping from manufacture to market. For instance, a Sony HS20 retails for €3600 here in Dublin, an AE200 (yes....) for €1749...... do the sums compared to prices available in the UK..... I don't doubt that there are licensing price effects from TI in relation to DLP, but the Optoma H30 (or Philips Bogart, although Philips are reported to be pulling out of the market) seems to be the first in a drop to more accessible prices, assuming you discount the XI which is older technology in terms of colour wheel etc.

The pace of market penetration of 1080 projectors be they LCOS variants or DLP 3 chippers will undoubtedly affect the pricing levels of the current top rank DLPs, such as Sim and Marantz - I think that they are likely to create a two tier pricing structure with the new crop priced at a premium above their current top rang pricing and suppress the pricing of the rest of the range - they can still shift units to upgraders and continue to make profit on the investments they've made in R&D and tooling.

Predicting prices in this market is heroic....... check the forum for reactions to the AE100 when it came to market, and it's price point, and compare with the near rush which greeted the Sanyo Z2 late last year and it's price point............

Looking forward to a 1280x720 DLP with decent wheel speed sometime next year....... that would do just fine.........

Sean G.

i'm tempted to upgrade from my Panny AE100 to DLP.

My criteria are 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), 1000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast and cost around £1000 with a similar throw to the AE100.

Zero rainbows would be nice although I don't know if I see them or not.

Originally posted by Jonny1973
i'm tempted to upgrade from my Panny AE100 to DLP.

My criteria are 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), 1000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast and cost around £1000 with a similar throw to the AE100.

Zero rainbows would be nice although I don't know if I see them or not.

Let me know if you find one. I'm sure we would all be interested. :rotfl:

My criteria are 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), 1000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast and cost around £1000

..... Priceless...........:laugh: :laugh:

Sean.

Regarding the 3-chip DLP's, the Marantz unit is £15,000 RRP and Digital Projection produce a unit at £10,000 . I believe the only cath with te cheaper unit is that you have to purchase a lens.

Looking at the market, TI can't get enough orders at the moment thanks to RPTV. I really don't think it will be long now until 3 chip dips under the £10,000 figure. Maybe next Xmas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom