1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the AV8 be upgradable?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by sticker, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd ask what other peoples thoughts were on this subject as I've seen various doubts expressed on the various forums (in particular the Tag forum) as to the viability of upgrades on the AV8.

I would certainly hope that the unit can be upgraded (software/hardware) but must admit that with DPL IIx taking so long the prospects from the outside don't look good.

Playing devils advocate, I would have thought that if upgradability is a no goer for the AV8 then it will seriously dent Arcam's ability to have a credible presence in the up-market processor area. Companies at this level surely must allow a future path for the products as they are not exactly cheap

Thoughts

Regards
    John

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Software updates yes, but I doubt that major hardward upgrades wll be quite so easy to accomplish.

3. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought mine John D. made the comment that it was a modular design so that it could be done although he didn't commit to actually producing upgrades. I would still like the video upconversion which now appears on lower models and of course the HDMI input which must be coming soon. It was one reason why i went this route to avoid having to buy and sell receivers to get the latest must have!!

4. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the modular design, I'll be extremely disappointed if hardware upgrades are not offered. Personally, I hope they'll be a DSP board upgrade in the future. I trust Arcam will be considering the number crunching requirements for Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD which are on the horizon for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Come on Arcam - not many of use are going to replace our processors every three years but we will pay for relevant hardware upgrades. Make good on that modular design!

JP. :)

5. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see from this months HiFi Choice that Denon have just released their first AV Receiver with HMDI (v1.1) inputs. So the techology now exists.

I hope Arcam are working on this too, and more importantly that the AV8 will be upgradable. If not then there will will many AV8 owners that are very disappointed and probably annoyed after spending so much money.

Any chance of a comment from Arcam:lease:

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'll be waiting to snap those AV8 rejects quite happily.

IMHO, HDMI is not a reaon to go for say an AV9 which does have it.

I'd use it for a few more years then go HDMI when it is truely mainstream like any of the 'standard' connections now, RCA, scart etc.

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wholeheartedly agree. Arcam have never made any commitment to produce upgrades to the AV8. However, they have stated that it's design is modular - which is a way of alluding to the possibility of upgrades without actually committing to anything.

If Arcam were to abandon the AV8 then they would find it very tough (IMO) to launch another processor at a similar price-point. After all, who'd buy it? The only way out of such a situation would be for Arcam to offer generous trade-ins for AV8 owners.

As an AV8 owner I'd say that, at the moment, things don't look too good. The AV8 doesn't even match the feature list of Arcam's own cheaper receivers.

Personally speaking, I'm happy with my AV8 - however if I was in the market for a processor today it probably wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Regards,

Jules.

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having just bought the P7 amplifier, upgraditis has infected my processor (Rotel 1098). I am also keeping an eye on AV8/AV9 developments as this would be my prefered choice.

I am sure that due to the modular design of the AV8, a new DSP could be swapped in - perhaps the latest dual core CS49500 ;-)??. Therefore with it the horsepower to do Room EQ, auto calibration, DPL2x etc)

All that is then needed is HDMI inputs and if Sony stops being a stick-in-the-mud we have full high res audio to the processor. I am sure Arcam has many secret tricks up it's sleeve (come on now, just a little hint for potential future customers!!?) and 2005 will be grin time again.

D