• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will the 360 play WMV videos from DVD

saguy

I am so tempted to pick up a 360 but was wondering if I would be able to play my WMV files from DVD or CD discs.

From what I have read Windows media centre is required for streaming media to the 360 which seems a pity as I only have XP.

White Noise

No, it won't I'm afraid.
It will only play photos and mp3's from discs or usb hard drives. Which is a total pain, as even with Media Center installed, I'm still having trouble playing even wmv files sometimes. The whole thing is a complete palava. If only you could just plug in a hard drive, it would be the perfect solution for playing video content. And I don't see any reason for not being able to do so.

saguy

White Noise said:
No, it won't I'm afraid.
It will only play photos and mp3's from discs or usb hard drives. Which is a total pain, as even with Media Center installed, I'm still having trouble playing even wmv files sometimes. The whole thing is a complete palava. If only you could just plug in a hard drive, it would be the perfect solution for playing video content. And I don't see any reason for not being able to do so.

That’s unfortunate - don't think I will bother with the 360, as there are currently not really any great games out. Plus the games are too expensive.

Pity, as Oblivion would have been great lounging in bed with my new big screen HDTV. I have a powerful PC that I will stick with for a while longer until the choice of games improves.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
By the end of March there'll be a few great games out (GRAW, FN3, Oblivion?). GRAW in particular looks superb! As for the games being too expensive, if you shop around you can get em new for £35 max and if you sell em on when you've finished with em or trade them in it doesn't have to be that expensive buying games for it. Besides the choice of games on xbox live marketplace is growing all the time and there are some real gems on there already!

m1ket

zAndy1 said:
By the end of March there'll be a few great games out (GRAW, FN3, Oblivion?). GRAW in particular looks superb! As for the games being too expensive, if you shop around you can get em new for £35 max and if you sell em on when you've finished with em or trade them in it doesn't have to be that expensive buying games for it. Besides the choice of games on xbox live marketplace is growing all the time and there are some real gems on there already!

where can you get them for £35:lease: ive found £39.99:suicide:

saguy

zAndy1 said:

Apart from the lack of good 360 games there has also been a PC games drought the last 3 months. The problem I have with the Xbox is that shares too many titles with the PC, the good ones that is. I would rather be playing GRAW on the PC whereas Oblivion on the 360.

I might actually wait it out for the PS3 or the Revolution, as their games will quiet different to the PC. The only thing is that is going to be a very long wait - at least a year.

I am partially PC biased when it comes to gaming, but not completely. I have gamecube that I still play and enjoy and had an Xbox but gave it away. Only platform I have not owned is PS2 due to it being graphically under whelming.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Why would you rather play GRAW on the PC? It's going to be an amazing experience on xbox live, worth getting it on 360 just for that if you ask me!

saguy

zAndy1 said:
Why would you rather play GRAW on the PC? It's going to be an amazing experience on xbox live, worth getting it on 360 just for that if you ask me!

Its called a mouse.

I will have the option to play it online on PC.

veto

Standard Member
zAndy1 said:

360 is over the shoulder view or gunless first person and dumbed down tactics , still gonna cop the 360 version as much as i like the old mouse and keyboard im a controller fan for fps titles , goldeneye kinda drilled it into me .

saguy

veto said:
360 is over the shoulder view or gunless first person and dumbed down tactics , still gonna cop the 360 version as much as i like the old mouse and keyboard im a controller fan for fps titles , goldeneye kinda drilled it into me .

I suppose it depends on the nature of the game play. Resident Evil 4 was my favourite game of 2005 but I would not want to play it on PC as it would be too easy as you can aim so fast and so accurately. Likewise I would hate to play BF2 or FEAR on a console. Games like Oblivion either mouse or game pad would be fine.

Getting on subject again I find it bizarre that the 360 does not have full support for its own media playback. 360 Has all the hardware in place to have full multimedia functionality.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom