will telewest do this?

delboyuk2005uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
will telewest supply me with another cable modem if i ask them, i already have 1 for downstairs, want 1 for upstairs, whats my chances of getting 1 for free.

i say this as i gave up with wireless connection, i got it all set up but the internet wont see to come through that way.

will via usb which is not good for wireless, soon as i do it via ethernet i get nothing

please help me 1 way or another.

possibly. but they proberly charge you another cable subscription.

unless they wont allow more then 1 modem per household.

whats wrong with a wired router ?

all i did. was modem to 8 port router.
router out to 8 places around house....

sorted !

Or even a wireless router. Even better sorted with no unsightly cat5 trailing about the house.

the answer will be no

your only allowed one internet connection per household with telewest

if you want to use the internet on two floors and wireless doesn't work for your, try networking via homeplug (the networking via the power supply). svp.co.uk have it at cheap prices. haven't used it myself by will probably get it soon

brassbellend said:
Even better sorted with no unsightly cat5 trailing about the house.

me doesnt have this..

its all under floorboards.. with rj45 boxes just above skirting.

I have a wireless router all connected up but the internet is only being recognised via usb and not ethernet connection.

any tips on getting this to work?

delboyuk2005uk said:
I have a wireless router all connected up but the internet is only being recognised via usb and not ethernet connection.

any tips on getting this to work?
I don't understand. Do you mean that your router can be connected via USB or are you using a USB wireless card and a eithernet wireless card? It shouldn't matter how you connect to to a wireless router either via an eithernet wireless card or a USB wireless card in the PC. They both communicate with the same protocol. If it doesn't work, you probably have the router configured incorrectly.

What is the model of the router?

it is LINKSYS WUSB54GS & WRT54GSUK SPEEDBOOSTER 125g ROUTER AND USB ADAPTER.

when i have the cable modem plugged in via usb it works, when i have the cable modem plugged in by ethernet the internet does not work.

now setting up the routher needs an ethernet connection, there is nothing wrong with the router cos thats all set up and being recognised upstairs on my pc and xbox 360.

the only thing is internet is not coming through down or upstairs when i use ethernet connection

using usb works downsatirs but cant connect this to my router via usb.

so im having a problem getting the router to work under ethernet connection which i think i need.

ok cool i have a motorola surfboard cable modem, now that plugs into my routher and the router then plugs into the backl of the pc ethernet connection. when i do this it says straight away limited or no connectivity, but when i take it off and do through usb connection on its own its ok. so it seems the ethernet connection is not being recognised.

delboyuk2005uk said:
ok cool i have a motorola surfboard cable modem, now that plugs into my routher and the router then plugs into the backl of the pc ethernet connection. when i do this it says straight away limited or no connectivity, but when i take it off and do through usb connection on its own its ok. so it seems the ethernet connection is not being recognised.
Is the Network Card indicating that it is working OK in the Device Manager?

YOu probably need to install the NIC driver and configure for DHCP as the posted above has suggested.

delboyuk2005uk said:

ok ill check under device manager.

what do i need to check for under device manager exactly?

how do i install the nic card?

bit slow on all this if you can help me

delboyuk2005uk said:
ok ill check under device manager.

what do i need to check for under device manager exactly?

how do i install the nic card?

bit slow on all this if you can help me
If there is a yellow question mark or red mark by the NIC driver, it is not operating correctly. If you double click on the NIC device, it should indicate that the device is working correctly in the box in the center.

Even if it indicates OK, the driver is probably not working correctly and a new driver should be installed. You can determine which Mainboard and NIC card that you have in the system by downloading Sandra Lite 2007 (free).

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,4005;order,1;page,1;c,All Downloads/description.html

Install Sandra and click on System Summary. If the NIC is part of the mainboard, you should find the mainboard manufacturer and model number under the chipset1 entry. Find that site and download and install the NIC driver for that mainboard. If the NIC is a seperate card, the card manufacturer and model number will be under the Network Services entry (the Network Services entry will also display the NIC that is part of the mainboard also if that is part of the mainboard). Go to that site and find that driver, download and install it.

thanks for your hard work mike ill look into this when i get home.

do i need to have my cable modem to go with my router or can i just use a router?

delboyuk2005uk said:
thanks for your hard work mike ill look into this when i get home.

do i need to have my cable modem to go with my router or can i just use a router?
Initally you should be able to go directly from the NIC card to the cable modem to make sure everything works OK. Once it is working, then you will have to go from the NIC to the router and the output of the router to the cable modem. You can then configure the router by usually going to address 192.168.1.1. See router user manual for configuring the router.

If you have too much of a problem getting the correct driver to work, it may be easier for you to go get a new ethernet card. You should be able to find one for between £5 and £15. Just install it in an empty PCI slot in the computer and install the software that comes on the disc with the card.

You may also be able to find the NIC driver on the web site of the manufacturer of the computer system (HP, Dell, etc.) using the model number of the computer system (not the mainboard model number).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom