Will Sony's 10 year plan screw the PS brand in the end ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Solar, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Isnt it obvious to them that MS and their deep pockets will probably manufacture a new console within 5 or 6 years and get it out at a price similar of the PS3 at that time.
    Then there is the Nintendo rumour of them "already" designing a new HD console that will be ready for release in 4 years !
    Since Sony are depending on 10 years of sales to build up the funds to manage a 4th console wouldnt this severley crush that plan if it was to happen ?

How do you lot think this could affect the PS3 and future sony consoles ?

2. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I thought all sony meant by the 10 year thing was they would support the console for 10 years. Nothing was mentioned about the PS3 being the lead console for 10 years. I think it just means they will support it and release games for it for up to 10 years after the release (like they are with the PS2 - its already 7 years since launch, yet its still going strong).

3. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 10 year life is just the support for the console although i still don't think they'll make it 10 years

Microsoft are bringing out a new xbox in november 2010 (3 years away) meaning that the 360 will have already been out for a good 5 years. There are already rumours of the PS4 launching at the same time to prevent loosing momentum

Whether that happens is yet to be seen of course

4. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I think we may have seen the end of parrellel "generations" of consoles. Microsoft will probably be ready to launch another console by the time PS3 is only half way through it's life cycle. Essentially Microsoft are trying to run the race so fast that those who can't afford to release new consoles regularly will be forced to not release, thus making their current efforts look outdated.
    Ultimately Microsoft have probably got deeper pockets than most and will take the losses in order to gain dominance.

Ultimately i'm not too bothered about this as there's always some conglomeration of companies looking to enter a market with too few competitors.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    With the amount spent on the PS3, I'm sure it'll be a long while before they consider bringing the PS4 to market!

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I'd be amazed if there wasn't a new MS console by year end 2010.

7. zz101

zz101
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68

The 'outdated' PS2 is outselling the Xbox 360 so if thats their plan its hugely flawed.

Also all this talk about MS's "deep pockets" is slightly redundant if they end up putting in more than they can make. I cant see them ever reaching the heights of the PS2 or Wii regardless of how much money they spend (lose).

Also the Wii must be thrashing the 360 on relative sales by now which again is bad news for MS's 'domination' plan - the 360 has been out a year longer but could potentially soon be the number two console.

It could be that the 360 came out too early rather than the PS3 came late - MS may be forced to release a new expensive console up against a relatively cheap PS3 and who knows what would happen then given how the market is at the moment...

8. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    thats what happened with the orignal though. MS went into the console market knowing it would take a little time to make inroads and to make money. They full expected to make losses with the original xbox, and tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they just planned to break even at the end of the 360's life cycle.

I agree about the PS2 though. I dunno how long the PS2 can carry on selling like it is, but that certainly must be a worry to MS and Nintendo (and also to some extent a worry to sony, because a lot of people are picking up a PS2, and not even thinking about the PS3).

9. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Just remember MSs strategy in the PC market though... if it's useful to them, they buy or incorporate it. Maybe an "XBox Mk.3" wouldn't be out of the question by 2010, with the best bits of the PS2 & Wii... also relatively cheap so people can afford it.

10. LCR_Dave

LCR_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i just cant see where people get the stats from, i dont actually know anyone who has bought a ps2 in the past 2 years, i mean why the hell would they, its an awfull console compared to the 360 and the ps3 even the original xbox would be on my list rather than that, who do you think is buying them? and why! lol

11. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    So following by your logic then Sony's plan is also flawed as the 'outdated' PS2 is outselling the PS3 ? :suicide:

The one thing that the past year has shown us is that the gaming market is a great deal wider and more lucrative than the 20-30 young male market that the Xbox 360 and PS brands has been aimed at. Whilst this was always known both parties failed to successfully open it up.

Nintendo have broken into that market and unchallenged are reaping the rewards (Profits up 77.2%) whilst Sony are cutting shipment targets for the PS3.

With Ken Kutaragi stepping down as chief executive of Sony's computer entertainment division we might see a new direction over the coming months

12. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Exactly.
    This isn't about initail sales figures. If it was then people would be talking about the GBA outselling the PS3 again. It's about market dominance and forcing your competitors into quitting the market. This has always been a trait of how major corporations do busines, especially Microsoft. Make the situation unsustainable for your opponents and take the losses in order to clean up in the long run.

13. kevin_irl

kevin_irl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Are you mad?! The ps2 was one of the best consoles ever released. The sales figures show how popular is was/is. If its such an 'awfull console compared to the 360' then why are so many people still buying it. Your views simply dont stand up. A console is all about the games - something the 360 is lacking and the ps2 has in abundance. Also, most people dont have HDTV's and dont see the point in buying a next-gen console if they cant take advantage of it - they would rather get a much cheaper ps2 and pick their choice of games from the huge catelogue the ps2 has.

14. LCR_Dave

LCR_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i just cant see it myself, its just me then who thinks there awfull in comparison to the gaming machines out now, i didnt touch mine since the xbox came out and then threw it in the bin when i got the 360, and im no fanboy i got a nice ps3 too,

15. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    the stats show plenty of PS2s are being sold, and a machine with "out dated last gen technology" the Wii is going strong.

It is foolish to think everyone out there is at your level of videogame needs - you are clearly a keen gamer who can afford the latest stuff, and you are on a forum of like minded people - but there are parents and older people that are only just now buying the likes of the PS2 as they are now "affordable" and have a good mix of games - and many of those games will not improve on game play on a PS3/Xbox 360 - Singstar, Buzz etc, are very popular but do not need HD gfx etc.

Me - I have a Wii and a PS3 - and as its early days the PS3 doesn't do any thing more than say the original Xbox did in terms of game play, it just add slicker graphics and sound - come 2nd/3rd gen games things should improve.

I think a 10 year plan is just fine, its the life span of the PS/PS2 - as for the next Xbox being rushed out, I don't understand why that would be, as it seems Xbox 360 is doing just fine - And I think there is room for 3 consoles to make money. They have different markets, to simplify the Wii has the quirky/multiplayer/fun games, the Xbox american/online/serious games, and for me the PS3 in some where in between, with Eur/USA type games and some Japanese weirdness thrown in :D

16. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I fail to see what this has to do with Sony's ten year plan for the PS3.
    Let's not turn this into a VS thread people.:(

17. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    the ps2 is selling so well because it costs less that £100 and has over 2000 games made for it. Sony would want the ps3 to have a similar run, be around for a long time and make a stack in later years, but they need to drop the price sooner rather than later

18. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    That's already happening, to a respectable level, unofficially. Look at the latest, shopto.net have it on at £359.99 delivered, which is a chunky 15% (or so) off the RRP, only a month after launch.

I'll also echo mabo's call to get back on track with the topic, we've seen enough vs threads to last a lifetime, thanks!

19. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    There is no ten year plan. Sony cant keep churning out ps3 games when people are playing xbox540 and Nintendo Piis.

They tell foolish people they intend to support the PS3 for ten years so you'll go out and waste your money on one.

20. kevin_irl

kevin_irl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37

Waste your money?!
    I have a ps3 and I havent wasted my money. Ive had alot of consoles in my day and my ps3 is up there with the best of them!

21. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Each to their own mate, I personally dont want to pay over the odds for a console just because its got a Sony Propriety Format on it. It can have the best games in the world but for 425 quid s.r.p they are being silly.

When the machine drops to the 280 mark it will be selling tens of thousands more than the 360 no doubt about it, children and morons love a brand name.

The only one of the 'next gen' consoles that interests me is the wii, but I imagine it doesnt have a great future ahead once the novelty of the controls wear off.

The 360 doesnt have much more appeal than the xbox for me so Im happy to keep that until there is at LEAST 40 AAA titles on the 360. Ive had 4 and sold them out of boredom.

Anyway, Sony = arrogant, petty rip off merchants who want to try and control the entire home entertainment market in the much the same way as Microsoft do with PC software, and very similar to the way they went about creating the Betamax. I think its being forced into buying a Bluray player that turns me off the most about the PS3