Will Sky+ work over a 15m S-Video cable to a PJ?

Brogan

Novice Member
I'm going to wait a bit longer before going for Sky HD so in the meantime I need to hook up my Sky+ box to the PJ.

The best way I can see is via S-Video as the only other connection method is Scart(RGB) and I don't want to fork out extra on converters.

So will Sky+ work over a 15M S-Video cable or is there a better way?

Brogan

Novice Member
Thanks Joe.

At £115 though, it's almost worth spending an extra £185 and getting Sky HD installed....

It's only intended to be a temporary solution and I have a feeling trying to sell a 2nd hand s-video cable of that value is going to be very difficult so it would be a bit of a wasted 'investment'.

Brogan

Novice Member
Joe, I was wondering, would it be worth getting a scart to component convertor and running a 15m component cable to the PJ?

I can get a fairly cheap convertor for about £60 and I can install a decent component cable which I will at least be able to re-use for either DVD, Sky HD or even a PS3.

That way I'm only spending about £60 on a temporary solution, rather than almost double that.

dingwall

Banned
We use 2 x 10m S-video cables joined together from Maplin all the time without problem (from PC to projector as the visual side of our performances).

No need to get ripped off by expensive 'solutions'.

Quality of S-video is superb also, by the way, even from Sky.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

Brogan - the UK SRP on the 15m Silver Serpent cable is now £89.95 - BetterCables have recently introduced new pricing on these cables.

Using the Silver Serpent S-Video is likely to give a better result that using a low cost YUV converter - though if you can acquire a JS-Tech RGB2YUV second hand its definitely an option.

Dingall - you ought to try a high quality S-Video cable before you say its a rip off :)

If you require a low cost decent quality S-Video cable for your installations/performances I'd use VanDamme Red Series - a 20m cable is approx £30.00.

Best regards

Joe

dingwall

Banned
Joe,

I don't think the cables are a rip-off. Your advice however was. Implying he needed to spend £90 to get an S-video cable that will work properly, tut tut.

And when that's too pricey, suddenly you sell a Van Damme cable that also works, lol.

The Maplin ones we use are a fiver each for 10m - we need them cheap, durable and easily replacable in any town, as things on the road take a battering and vanish fairly readily...There are plenty of similar cheap ones available on the net that will work fine. The Van Damme one if <£25 for 15m would be good to buy I'm sure too!

Brogan

Novice Member
Thanks Joe.

So would you say a VanDamme 20m S-Video cable at &#163;30 will give a better picture than QED Scart cable (&#163;40) -> QED Convertor (&#163;60) -> 15m Component cable?
I already have the scart cable and the component cable I get would be a decent one as it will be used in the future for Sky HD.
So I guess the issue is whether the VanDamme S-Video cable does a better job than the QED scart to component convertor.
Again, as the convertor is only a temporary measure I don't want to spend a fortune on it.
I am keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand JS-Tech but they don't come up that often.

dingwall, I appreaciate what you're saying and I too am sceptical of the claims some of these cables aim to achieve.
In fact, a lot of my cables are home made (subwoofer, phono, mains).
However, I suspect that a very cheap S-Video cable with minimal shielding could be susceptible to interference and/or degradation of the signal over longer distances so I'd rather spend 'just enough' to get a cable that does what I need it to.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello dingwall

Its OK - 20 years of AV Hires and events; I do know about being 'on-the-road' :)

My rip-off advice is based on getting a decent image on screen - the VanDamme is great value for money but doesn't deliver the same picture quality as the BetterCables; that's why we recommend both options.

Best regards

Joe

PS Look at the VanDamme S-Video to 2BNC jumper cables - that way you can use long runs of BNC to BNC cable for your S-Video signal and not have to make a run to Maplins.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Brogan

Done well S-Video is a lot better than most folk imagine - the converted to YUV option will generally result in a slightly softer image which can help out when lots of edge definition is being applied to the source signal.

20m is a long run for a lot of consumer source devices so your cable does have an impact - the VanDamme cable is shielded so is better than lots of the generic low cost cables.

Its relatively straightforward to try out both (or all three) options as no matter what the science/best practice says you may find your own system favours S-Video over converted to YUV - or vice versa.

Best regards

Joe

Brogan

Novice Member
Okay, thanks Joe.

Although you suggest it is easy to try out all options, in practice that will mean purchasing all the various components- cables, convertors (and trying to sell them on again at a loss) so it's not really a practical approach.

I guess I'll just have to decide from the outset which option to go for.

Brogan

Novice Member
I can confirm that Sky over a 15m S-Video cable is fine.
I've just hooked up my new Van Damme cable between Sky and the plasma.
A quick comparison between this and my existing QED 2m SCART shows no significant difference in quality - apart from the usual differences between RGB and S-Video.

Just to be sure I took 2 photos so I could compare in more detail.
First one is RGB via SCART, second one is S-Video.

It may be possible that I could have got the same image quality using a cheap S-Video cable but at less than £25 for the Van Damme it's not really an issue.